Quitting smoking before Rhinoplasty.

I am having a rhinoplasty on December 7th. I quit smoking on October 31st. Is this enough time to have a safe surgery?

Smoking and Rhinoplasty

Congratulations on quitting! In my practice I usually state that my patients have to quit smoking for at least 6 weeks prior and 6 weeks after their surgery. I think your timeframe should be well enough for you to have a safe surgery.

Good Luck!

Nanuet Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and smoking

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to improve the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance.

Smoking increases the potential for any potential problem during or after surgery. Smoking cessation is important as it can reduce those risks. Even better, the longer you are off smoking, the more benefits you reap. After 4 weeks, your risk profile will improve significantly. Of course it's better at 6 weeks and even better at 8 weeks. I practice very conservatively, so I request my patients stop smoking for 8 weeks before and continue to stop smoking for 8 weeks after surgery. Your surgeon and anesthesiologist will assess you and come up with the safest plan for your surgery. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and surgery , some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. 

In my practice I recommend to stop smoking at least 1 month before the procedure and keep without smoking at least 2 months after it. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Quitting smoking before Rhinoplasty.

Congratulations on quitting. For my patients, I recommend that they stop all nicotine products at least four weeks before the procedure and 4 weeks after the procedure. 

Quitting smoking before rhinoplasty

Quitting smoking six weeks prior to a rhinoplasty will allow plenty of time for nicotine and carbon monoxide to get out of your bloodstream which should allow for normal healing.

Smoking and Rhinoplasty

It is fantastic that you quit smoking!  There is quite a bit of research showing that the motivation for a successful surgery, particularly when it is cosmetic, is very successful for long-lactic smoking cessation.  There is also research demonstrating a physiologic benefit to stopping in as little as two weeks prior to surgery.  I think every day you are apart from nicotine, the better, and the safer you will be for a positive surgical outcome.  I would recommend discussing this with you surgeon, who should also be able to address your concerns/worries.  Luckily the nose and face are very vascular and I think you should be safe with 6 weeks of smoking cessation.  It will be critical to continue to abstain from smoking in the postoperative period, and hopefully forever!

Christian L. Stallworth, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and rhinoplasty

Congratulations on quitting smoking! The earlier the better but I would not expect you to be at any higher a risk for your surgery at this point.  Hopefully you can use this as a reason to stop smoking entirely. Obviously, you will heal better and be healthier overall. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist