What size will fit my frame best? (Photo)

I'm a hippy girl, always have been, but after 5 kids, I'm all hip. I've never had breasts (large B during breastfeeding but otherwise an a cup), since having my last child, my measurements are 38(a)/32/45, I want my hourglass shape back. Is a full d too big? I want them to look natural and proportionate. I'm 5'3" and currently 175lbs, but losing weight steadily.. My consultation isn't for another few months and I'm so anxious to know what size I should be going for.

What size will fit my frame best?

Dear Reader,
Your photo gives limited information for this question.  In general, I do not think a "D" cup is too big for you.  An in person exam with a plastic surgeon is best at this point.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size

Thank you for your question. It will be difficult to predict the size/volume of implant which suits you best until you are examined in person by your Plastic Surgeon. Implants are not available in "cup" sizes as there are no standards for cup sizing. Your bra band and overall size as well as existing breast tissue will influence how you eventually measure.

Dimensional Breast Augmentation involves Your Plastic Surgeon measuring your breasts and recommending a range of similar implant sizes which precisely fit your breast width as well as provide the volume and "look" that you are interested in. My patients find it helpful to try on the implant sizers with a light-coloured, form-fitting T-Shirt in the office so that they can see and feel what the implants will look like.

Be sure to choose a board certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in this procedure.

All the best

You will discover your best option when you actually see a surgeon

Breast implant size is an interactive decision between you and your surgeon. It is not a mathemetical equation.  You are wasting your time looking for answers in this manner.  Loose weight and see a plastic surgeon in person when you are ready to proceed. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

What size will fit my frame best?

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. 
Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” or "proportionate" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants / Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Picking a size

Choosing the right size of implant for breast augmentation is key to being happy with your outcome.  However, it is always very challenging to base the discussion on cup size alone since there is no standard cup size.  Your idea of a D cup may not be the same as your surgeon's.  Therefore your surgeon will likely take a number of steps to insure that he or she is picking the "right" size for you.  In my office, this involves trying on implant sizers, bringing in photographs of your desired size and using 3D imaging.  This, in combination with measurements and an examination, will help to determine the size that will fit both your goals and your body.  

Paul B. Mills, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

What size will fit my frame best?

Thank you for your question. Breast implant selection is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon. Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest. It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like. It's important to focus on the look that you want instead of a specific cup size or implant size. Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Choose a size

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body.

Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Breast Implant Choices

Thanks for your question and picture.  You do look like a good candidate for breast augmentation to create more of the hourglass figure.  The appropriate sizing is based upon your goals and also your physical exam and measurements.  Work with a board certified plastic surgeon to start this process.

Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon