Recovering from a cold , tummy tuck tomorrow??

I have been in contact with my PS who has had me on 2 different antibiotics to clear up this cold/cough.. The cough is becoming less productive (but still present) and my surgery is tomorrow .. The doctor and anesthesiologist seem to act like it will be okay to proceed but I wanted to hear some more opinions?

Suffering from a cold-having a TT next day

Hello, and thank you for your question.

The major issue would be your discomfort from the coughing after having a tummy tuck.  Only your PCP and PS know the actual degree of your cold and cough.  Lean on their expertise.

I have had patients with similar situations do fine after a tummy tuck, so please do not be terrified.

Dr. Obeng
Beverly Hills, CA 

Even if you feel that your cold is in resolution, your cough can cause unnecessary pain after surgery.  Since this is elective cosmetic surgery and it's always best to optimize the situation around the time of surgery, postponing your procedure may be worth considering.  Regardless, you should be evaluated by the anesthesia team, your surgeon and medical doctor.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

A Cold and Tummy Tuck

Thank you very much for your question.

I'm not as much concerned about infection as I am about the coughing (similar to Dr. Khalifeh on this board).  I would consider rescheduling the surgery so that your recovery is easier.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

The anesthesiologist is best equipped to decide

My main worry with  a productive cough would be the fact that your cough will be painfull after surgery and you will have a harder time being comfortable or coughing up the sputum.   Other than inconvenience, what is the harm in rescheduling?  This question is best addressed by your anesthesia team, plastic surgeon, and primary care physician, but if the cough is still bad I would wait.

Marwan R. Khalifeh, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon