Is there any recourse for Botox injections that do not work?

I had 28 units of Botox injected between my eyes 5 days ago and have seen NO improvement or change in my frown lines. I had the same injections a year or so ago with no improvement. I thought maybe it was the injector and/or the Botox. It was done at that time at a Botox Party". This time I went to a licensed clinic to have it done. Unfortunately, I've had the same results. NOTHING! I am so very disappointed I have wasted so much money. Is there anything I can do?

My botoxed face will not freeze! Help!

Thanks for your question. Botox does not work right away. The doctor does not give you the injections and then ta-da, all your wrinkles vanish! It can take up to 2 weeks for some patients to see the result of Botox injections. That being said, if after 2 weeks you still see no improvement, I suggest you contact the clinic where you had the Botox injected. In future, I would recommend that you have your Botox done by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist. I am also not a fan of Botox parties. While they may seem fun, there are many elements that should give party attendees pause. Is the environment sterile? Who is the injector, do they know what they are doing? Are they really using Botox? Is there wine at the party, which brings into question if the patient is really giving their consent or buckling under peer pressure or making the decision while intoxicated. 

Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Botox

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox. It take take up to 2 weeks to see total correction with Botox injections. At that time, if you are not satisfied with your results, follow up with your injector. Additional units of Botox may need to be injected to achieve your desired result. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Botox Results

It takes up to 2 weeks to see the maximum results of Botox. If you are still unhappy after 2 weeks I suggest additional Botox to achieve the look you desire. I recommend consulting with your physician for the best treatment plan. 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Other considerations

I agree with all the previous answers.  Having said that, it is worth trying one of the other products if indeed you did not respond to Botox.  Xeomin and Dysport are the other neuromodulators available.  Furthermore, the concentration of the product may play a role as well.  We use all three products in our clinic and use different concentrations for different areas depending on the desired effect.  Some clinics favor one product over another but you have the right to request an alternative.  Finally, make sure you are getting before and after images in the process.  I hope this helps. 

Guaranteed Botox Results

Thank you for your question.  Without seeing your before and after pictures it is impossible to say.  Lines at rest generally need filler.  Botox freezes or relaxes the muscle so you don't move and can take up to two weeks before you see the full affect.  I would suggest going back to where you had your injections done and have a follow up appointment after two weeks.

Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Guaranteed Botox Results

Botox can take a full 2 weeks to settle in and metabolize into the muscle. I recommend going back to the provider for a 2-week follow up to assure the correct dosage was injected. It's hard to assess without seeing "before" and "after" photos because each patient requires a different dosage for best results. At our surgical and aesthetic practice we guarantee our results with a 2-week follow up to ensure proper dosage.

Richard H. Bensimon, MD

Non response to Botox

There are a number of issues here.  You should not have any procedure done at a "party" or at a spa where you do not have any idea of who is qualified. See a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.see my latest book SkinScam.  it is possible that the Botox was mixed incorrectly, stored incorrectly or not injected properly but the peak of action is not 5 days but 7-10

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

No improvement with Botox in frown lines

If the lines are severe at rest, Botox is not going to improve that much. It works by relaxing the muscles. Lines at rest need filler or multiple treatments over the course of 9-12 months to get better. 28 units in the glabella should see results.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Let's Get You Happy With Your Results--Xeomin, Dysport, Botox, Facial fillers

This is tough to answer without before and after pictures It could be you need a slightly higher dose of Botox and a touch up would give you the results you want. However, for patients that do not have optimal results with Botox or Dysport, I suggest trying Xeomin or other facial fillers. I recommend a formal evaluation with a board certified dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer

Hello Hope4given,

There is a range of Botox doses that can be used.  For the area between the eyes I tell my patients we start at 20 units but can go as high as 50 units.  If you didn't see any result a year ago with 28 units, and you got 28 units 5 days ago, chances are that even after you wait the full two weeks for the Botox to reach maximum effect you won't see a benefit.  There is usually no recourse as far as getting your money back because the product was delivered.  What I would recommend is you follow up with your injector to get a higher dose.  In my practice, your dose works for about 90% of patients.  But my mother in law didn't see any benefit until I get her at 50 units.  So if you want to get the result of Botox, you can go up higher.  This does mean spending more but at least you will get a result.  You can also consider using a different neuromodulator like Dysport but most likely the dosing would be similar to Botox.  I would also recommend you only receive your injections from a physician injector from one of the core aesthetic fields (facial plastic surgery, plastic surgery, dermatology).   

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon