MM after 3 c-sections and soon hernia repair. Can the hernia be repaired at the same time as the MM?

I am concidering a MM, I have had 3 c-sections and just recently was diagnosed with a hernia. Dr says it needs to get repaired because it is causing me pain and discomfort, will I be able to get a MM after all these surgeries? Or maybe the hernia can be repaired at same time as MM? I'm new to all this, have tried to do research but as a newbie, every bit of info works wonders! Thank you!

Combining Multiple Procedures in a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

#Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

Yes

A good board certified plastic surgeon who us also a general surgeon can easily do this! The abdominal wall repair actually enhances the hernia repair !

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Hernia repair and tummy tuck.

A tummy tuck or mommy makeover procedure and an abdominal hernia repair can be combined at the same time. Most commonly this is due to an umbilical hernia. If you have a more complex hernia that is causing you pain and discomfort, I would definitely discuss this with your plastic surgeon before hand. Certain hernias are best treated separately, allowed to heal, and then at a later date proceed with a tummy tuck procedure. A lot of this would also depend on your other medical conditions.

In most cases, the hernia can be repaired at the same time as the other procedures of the mommy makeover.

Unless hernia is life-threatening, repair at the same time of tummy tuck (part of Mommy Makeover) is best.

Since many ABPS-certified plastic surgeons are fully-trained general surgeons before their specialty training in plastic surgery, choosing one who can (and is willing to) do both the hernia repair and the cosmetic tummy tuck at the same operation is obviously the safest and easiest (as well as the least scarring) way to solve two problems with one operation. (3 in 1 if you consider breast augmentation at the same operation).

Unfortunately, if you choose to have your hernia repaired first, separate from tummy tuck surgery, your general surgeon will need to make an incision over the hernia, which will totally destroy the cosmesis of a properly-performed tummy tuck--extra ugly scar right down the middle of your abdomen!

Your chosen plastic surgeon will make the lower abdominoplasty incision below all 3 C-section scars, removing these scars along with the loose, possibly wrinkled or stretch-marked skin between your pubic area and your belly button. The skin from your belly button to your breast bone is then lifted off the abdominal wall, exposing the entire abdominal wall, stretched rectus abdominis fascia (the diastasis recti), as well as any umbilical or ventral hernia.

I have frequently repaired one or more hernias in this way, including mesh reinforcement if necessary, during exposure of the abdominal wall fascia, which I repair and tighten in the course of every tummy tuck anyway. Part of this may be covered by insurance, but this won't usually reduce your cosmetic bill, just cover the reconstructive (hernia) portion.

But then the skin is stretched over the now-hidden hernia repair and muscle tightening, a new opening made for your umbilicus, and the new suprapubic incision replacing all 3 C-section scars closed. No extra scar, just a nicely- flatter abdomen with the hernia repair completely covered.

Voila! Two problems solved with one operation, one recovery, no increased risk, no increased pain, and no hernia scar down the middle of your abdomen. This should not be a maybe; unless the hernia is life-threatening (unlikely since you describe no strangulation or incarceration), this is absolutely the way it should be done.

Some plastic surgeons who are not fully-trained general surgeons (they came to plastic surgery via ENT or Orthopedic surgery backgrounds, for example) may ask a general surgical colleague to step in and do this repair at the time of tummy tuck exposure, but this would often mandate your cosmetic procedure being done at a hospital (usually at higher cost, and with the exposure to nasty hospital bacteria), so I would consider a dual-boarded general surgeon/plastic surgeon who can do both at his/her accredited office surgical facility or outpatient surgicenter. Less costly, less sick patient or nasty bacteria exposure, usually better outpatient anesthesia, and almost always lower cost. I do this frequently in my practice, as does my partner, since both of us are fully-trained in general surgery AND plastic surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Hernia and mommy makeover

Hernia repairs are frequently done at the same time as an abdominoplasty.Depending on the complexity of the hernia surgery it might all be done by your plastic surgeon or as a team in concert with a general surgeon.If by mommy makeover you mean you also want major breast rejuvenation and/or liposuction then you need to review with your doctors what is reasonably safe to do at one time vis a vis your general health,recovery time you can dedicate to the healing,length of overall anesthesa etc.

Robert Savage, MD (retired)
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Hernia repair during mommy makeover

In general, a hernia can be repaired simultaneously during the tummy tuck portion of the mommy makeover procedures.  This will depend, however, on several factors including the location and the size of the hernia.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can help you to determine if your hernia can be repaired during your mommy makeover procedure.  Best wishes and be safe.  

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck wit abdominal wall hernia

Abdominal wall hernias are routinely repaired by general surgeons. Many plastic surgeons are also fully trained in general surgery and feel very comfortable repairing an abdominal wall hernias.
Very large hernia and complex abdominal wall defects are treated by both general surgeons and plastic surgeons doing abdominal wall reconstruction.

Abdominal wall hernias can be repaired during a tummy tuck by the plastic surgeon.

Hernia repair

Though you did not indicate where the hernia is one frequently does hernia repairs at the time of a mommy makeover so YES they can be done together

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Hernia repair at time of mommy makeover

Thanks for you inquiry and excellent question.  You can absolutely have  your hernia repair at the time of your abdominoplasty portion of the mommy makeover. If you have a larger defect or need mesh to repair your hernia, I usually perform the procedure with one of my general surgery colleagues.  I do a combined case like yours with a hernia at least once a month.  There are many very good surgeons in the Fort Worth area and you should consult with one of us to discuss your goals and needs in person.  Good Luck, Dr Rumalla.