Should I lose the weight before or after Breast Augmentation?

I have gained a fair amount of weight in the past year (20 ibs), but my boobs did not change size AT ALL during that time (still 34A). I am seeing a lot of great deals on doctor's pages on RealSelf, so I'm curious to know if it would be safe to go ahead and get the BA (two-cup size increase), or if I should wait until I am at my goal weight. Since my breasts did not change at all, and I just want to lose that 20 pounds, would it really affect the outcome of the implants post-weight loss? Thanks!

Would weight loss change appearance of breasts following augmentation?

This is a great question. People gain and lose weight differently, so it's impossible to predict with any certainty how weight loss may affect the appearance of your breasts if you have breast augmentation performed before losing the 20 pound goal you've set for yourself. Losing the weight before a surgery will help you select the size breast implants which you'll be most happy with, and that are in proportion to your body. 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss Before BA

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately it isn't possible to guarantee that your breasts won't change when you lose weight. We typically recommend that you reach and maintain your target weight for a few months before having your consultation.
All the best

Breast augmentation before or after weight loss

Thank you for your question.  It is always advisable to undergo surgery after you are at your goal weight.  You may have some fluctuations in your breast size with weight changes and this can be adjusted for if need be.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and weight loss.

I usually recommend losing the weight before having a permanent procedure like breast augmentation. Even though your breasts do not vary much with weight , the final implant size should be in proportion to the rest of the body (hips, waist, etc, which do change).  Best wishes,

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Should I lose weight before or after a BAM

HI Curious,It is best to try to lose the weight before yo have surgery. Even though your breasts did not change with the weight gain, it does not guarantee if your breasts will keep the same appearance when you lose. One can not always say exactly where weight loss will occur when one goes on a weight loss program.Hope this helps.Best,Dr. Christine Rodgers

Breast Aug before losing a 20 lb. recent weight gain?

I'd vote for you to lose 15 of those 20 lbs so there's no second guessing whether you make a mistake proceeding at a heavy weight.  I do agree with the others that if your breasts REALLY didn't change at all (a little hard to believe) then it would probably be okay if you're medically fit.Regards and best wishes.
Jon A. Perlman MD FACSDiplomate, Am. Bd. of Plastic SurgeryBeverly Hills, Ca.  

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Will not change outcome but will effect body proportion

It is best to have any surgery when you have your desired body form that includes your weight. You will be happier that way and the implant sizing will be more precise.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Weight loss prior to surgery

Hi justcurious10.In general, it is best for your cosmetic outcome to be at a stable, healthy weight.  However, if your breasts are really more or less changed by your weight gain, it should be fine if exam and your health history support that choice.
I Would be happy to evaluate you if you wish.

If you are only dealing with a 20# weight difference and the timing is appropriate for you, I think you will probably be fine to go ahead with the surgery. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for your question.  Though always best to be at your ideal weight before pursuing any aesthetic procedure if your breasts did not change with your weight gain it should be fine for you to undergo a breast augmentation and not anticipate significant changes should you lose the weight.  As you will be limited in your physical activity immediately after surgery surgery will delay any additional weight loss that you planned on pursuing in the short term.  Hope this helps.