I am an athlete fluctuating 16-12% body fat. 5'3 measurements: 37-27-37. Low profile implant for a wide chest, thoughts? (Photo)

. i have terrible bilateral spreading and unnatural shape. i want natural cleavage (not a massive sternum with visibly rippled pecs and misshapen implants) how would the size or cc's compare with a large change in the shape of the implant? (from MENTOR gummy bear textured tear drop to low profile) would it be a difficult process to execute an exchange surgery? if placed under the muscle again could the doc use the same pocket? scarring?

Breast augmentation

If you were consulting with me, I would recommend you bring in some photos of your desired breast appearance.  Then I could better tell you if it is achievable and and/or what would need to be done to achieve you desired appearance.  Definitely consult with several board certified plastic surgeons prior to proceeding with surgery.

Good luck,

Dr. Luong

Edina Plastic Surgeon

How to achieve a natural breast augmentation with a 16-12% body fat = it depends of what "natural" means to you #ba #breastimpla

Achieving "natural" breast augmentation in the US is not an easy thing since the understanding of "natural" varies among women,.

In the US, most women think that a Pamela Anderson-like or Nicki Minaj-like breasts are considered normal, while in Europe that is considered fake. In Europe breasts with smooth transition from the chest to the breast and minimal cleavage is considered "normal" while in the US that is not considered normal or attractive. Therefore, a "normal" breast augmentation requires a clarification of what  "normal"means to the patient,

Bodybuilding patients have a particular problem for breast augmentation. The fact their body fat is extremely low, makes the implant very visible, even if placed under the muscle. Therefore, BB patients should refrain from saline filled implants ( to avoid rippling).

BB female patients would benefit from breast augmentation with silicone implants. If they want upper pole fullness and cleavage, round shape implants is the way to go. If they want a more tear drop shape and don't mind having minimal upper pole fulness and minimal cleavage, an anatomical shaped implants is the way to go. 

I like more the sientra silicone implants (either round or shaped) compared with Mentor or Allergan because their breast implant base diameter is smaller, therefore fits better in narrow chest or BB patients. They also come in wider base diameter for wide chested patients. 

John Mesa, MD

Animation Problems with Breast Implants in Athletes

Anatomic implants placed under the muscle in athletes may cause unnatural contraction of the pectoralis muscle. A sub-glandular implant in the moderate to low profile range or in the Inspira family may be a great option to eliminate animation deformities, as well as provide a natural shape to the breast.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Breast Augmentation for an Athletic Build

You bring up a great question that I deal with a lot in my practice which has specialized in breast augmentation since 1990. At that time, not many options existed for women as far as breast implants went. Today, however, implant manufacturers are offering a wide array of implants which address most every situation I encounter as a breast surgeon.

While the majority of my patients are lately preferring Allergan's new Natrelle Inspira silicone gel implants, because of the great projection they offer, they may not be the ideal choice for those wanting to maintain an athletic build. That said, I rarely, if ever use low profile implants due to the lack of any projection. And, as you pointed out, the size of the implant would change the appearance of the same style implant. A discussion of all your options would help narrow down the pros/cons and allow you to feel better about a decision. 

The same pocket can usually be used, or may need to be slightly modified depending on the type/size of implant you select. Incisions would usually be made in the same location as your original surgery so additional scarring would be minimal. I also give all my patients an excellent silicone scar cream which helps the incisions heal with minimal scars.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Revision in an athletic body

Hi.  There are so many variables in implant revisional surgery.  Some of those factors are related to the choice of implant.  Implants come in various widths and projections, as well as different styles (textured vs. smooth, and round vs. shaped).  Each one has a different look and feel.  The other factors are based on your body, specifically your chest shape and the amount of breast tissue that you have.
During your consultation, your plastic surgeon will assess all of these issues and tailor them as much as possible to your desires.  Most importantly, your plastic surgeon should be able to give you a realistic idea of what you can expect once the plan is created.
I would be happy to consult with you if you would like a face-to-face opinion. 

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Revisionary breast surgery concerns…

Thank you for the question. Keep in mind as you are thinking about your goals that sometimes adjustment of the breast implant pockets (capsule adjustments) may be necessary to achieve the outcome you are looking for. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural cleavage” or "large change” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your chosen plastic surgeon to work with you in determining the best plan to achieve your goals.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.