Healing time frame. Right now I'm 8 days out, I got my cast removed yesterday and my nose is twice as big as it was pre-op.

I'd really like a realistic time frame broken down from when I should expect my bruises to finally dissipate, the red blood pools in my eyes (Subconjunctival hemorrhage) to be gone, and the tenderness I feel from nose (even when i'm not doing anything) to be gone. Also what I can do to speed up the process. Yes I know it takes a full year for it to heal completely. But right now it looks like someone hit my nose with a bat- my nose is huge and everything about healing is noticeable.

Rhinoplasty Recovery can vary from patient to patient

Dear, Melanie:

Recovery after rhinoplasty can vary from patient to patient. Much of what you are explaining in terms of your recovery is very normal. 

Most swelling should go down after two to three weeks, but it may take up to three months for swelling to completely dissipate. The swelling you are experiencing is a normal part of the healing process. In the first few days, swelling may increase and your nose may still appear swollen after your splint is removed. Don’t be alarmed, this is all part of the healing process.

Discoloration, redness in your eyes and bruising may appear after surgery.  Some patients will experience light, yellow bruises while others may see deep blue and red marks. This will vary by person, but should not be accompanied by extreme pain and will go away.

Most visible healing should be completed after four to six weeks from your nose surgery.

If you are still experiencing pain and issues related to bruising past this time frame, I would recommend going back into seeing your surgeon.

I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you are happy with the end result of your rhinoplasty surgery and have the confidence you deserve.

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS
Double Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask your surgeon

The best person to answer this question is your surgeon. He or she will know exactly what was done and, thus, the amount of time likely needed to heal.

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-op rhinoplasty swelling

The initial swelling after rhinoplasty can be significant. I can't speak to your surgery specifically, but in general, bruising will persist for 1-2 weeks after surgery. The swelling improves markedly in the first 6 weeks, but will continue to improve over 1 year. You may be experiencing more swelling if your surgery was over 3 hours through an open tenchnique and/or if you have thick skin. 

In the meantime, keep you head elevated and avoid alcohol and salty foods.  If you are experiencing increasing pain, redness or fever - contact your PS. 

Good luck!!

Jon Kurkjian, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Healing time frame

Your surgeon should answer this questions specifically because the answer will partly depend on what was done in surgery and we don't have that information. In general the swelling will greatly improve over the next few weeks along with the subconjunctival hemorrhages. Many of these questions are answered in more depth on my FAQ section of my website.

Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon