Should I be able to feel the implant in my breast?

I am 5' 4" and 126 pounds and 2 weeks post op BL/BA. I had 360cc left and 375cc right moderate plus smooth silicone implants. A few days ago, I noticed along and under the suture line of my left breast, a smooth firm ridge that gives when pushed. It does not hurt when pressure is applied. At first I thought it might be scar tissue forming, but It appears to becoming more noticeable as the swelling is decreasing. Could this possibly be the implant I am feeling?

Feeling breast implant

Thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon for people to be able to feel their implants, and this is not necessarily a problem.  If there is relatively little breast tissue over the implants it may be possible to feel their contours.

Feeling the implant

Thank you for your question.  It is possible you could be feeling the implant.  In thinner women you can sometimes feel the edge of the implant even when placed under the muscle.  Always best to follow with your plastic surgeon for a physical exam to verify.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Feeling the Ridge near the scar

Without a physical exam it is hard to tell you but this could be the implant. In petite and thin women this can happen. I would discuss with your surgeon.

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant

Your breasts will continue to change over the next couple of months. I would not be excessively concerned with findings at this time point. However, it is possible to feel the edge of an implant in a thin patient. Address your concern with your surgeon during your next follow up visit.

Even if you have the implants placed submuscularly, the implant can sometimes be felt along the edges, especially in thin women. Best to see your operating surgeon so he or she can properly evaluate you in person and reassure you as needed. Good luck!