Exercise after sub pectoral silicone breast implants?

How soon after having a sub pectoral BL/BA with silicone implants, can I return to upper body workouts? I presently lift light to moderate weights for toning, stretch extensively and use an exercise bike, treadmill or precore machines for cardio. Should weight lifting be discouraged or totally stopped? I've heard conflicting advise. Thanks.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Most important, you need to follow the specific advice of your plastic surgeon.   That said, in my practice patients who have subpectoral breast augmentation are asked not to do pushups or benchpress weights for at least 6 weeks after surgery.

Thank you for your question. Best person to answer this question is your surgeon. He/she knows about how you are healing and your surgical details. Please contact your PS office.

Exercise after BA surgery

Thank you for your question, and I wish you a speedy recovery! It is best to discuss with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon his/her specific recommendations as far as return to activity and weight lifting. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time. Generally, the first 4-7 days are reserved for rest and overall recovery, and after that patients can slowly work their way back with gradual low risk activities. I prefer to wait at least 6-8 weeks for repetitive upper body lifting/movements and arm use so that the muscles, skin incisions and breast tissues have had adequate time to heal and settle before being stressed. The recovery routine will best be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so be sure to touch base with him/her on their specific recommendations.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after implant

Thank you for your question.  My rule of thumb is 4 weeks after surgery my patients can return to the gym for cardio and light lifting.  That being said, each patient is different and I see my patients in the office before releasing them to work out to assess their healing process and be sure it is safe to resume activities.  It is best to communicate with your surgeon and to keep all your follow up appointments.   Best of Luck!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Time to wait for exercise following augmentation and lift

Thanks for your question. My rule is two weeks before I allow walking for exercise. At 3-4 weeks I typically release patients with BA/BL to run/walk programs to gradually build up their strength. A good sports bra is essential. Light weights with more reps to try and regain range of motion can usually start at 3-4 weeks. Ultimately your surgeon will be able to give you their protocol. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

You should check with your plastic surgeon with regard to his or her particular recommendations about activities after your breast augmentation and follow those instructions. The plastic surgeon should be board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic surgery (ASAPS). Robert Singer, MD  FACS La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Working Out After BAM

Thanks for your question! This answer really varies widely from surgeon to surgeon. In my experience of doing thousands of breast augmentations, here is my protocol: walk around the day after surgery (evening of), up to 4 mph on a treadmill & up to 15 pounds weights after 1 week, full on run at 3 weeks, core & weights (about fully healed) at 4 weeks post op. I have my patients avoid heavy pec exercises forever, as they will displace the implants laterally. This has served me well, without problems, in my 14 years of practice. Hope this helps, & make sure to check with ur plastic surgeon to see what his/her protocol is. Best of luck!

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Weight lifting after implants

After you are fully healed (2 months or so) I see no reason for not returning to full exercises, including weight lifting. Check with your surgeon.  Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after sub pectoral BL/BA

Thanks for your question. You should give adequate time for healing. Generally, you're about 60% healed at 8 weeks. I usually let my patients start mild exercise at 6 weeks and work out slowly. If you've had a mastopexy at the same time, you should wait longer. Start mild at 8-10 weeks and increase slowly because of the incision and to keep from widening your scar. Use common sense and don't overdo it. I would consult your board-certified plastic surgeon about this. Good luck.