ENT or Plastic Surgeon for Rhinoplasty?

I went today to see an ent for sinus surgery. I am also wanting to do a rhinoplasty. The ent has only done about 100 rhinoplastys. should I go to a plastic surgeon for the rhinoplasty instead of an net?

Rhinoplasty and SInus surgery

Many ENT's who don't perform a lot of cosmetic rhinoplasties will work with a surgeon who does.  You may ask for this.   You don't have to do both procedures at the same time.  The rhinoplasty needs to be performed by someone who is experienced.

ENT or Plastic Surgeon for Rhinoplasty?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. Kindly send us photos which will help with your evaluation and for best recommendations.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

I recommend you to send your photos to us to give you the advices you need and want.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Double board certified ENT/facial plastic surgeon

Unfortunately, performing only 100 rhinoplasty procedures is not extensive experience with the procedure of rhinoplasty, since rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult procedures to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery. Look for a double board certified ENT/facial plastic surgeon with many years of experience performing both procedures. Look for a surgeon who has dedicated a significant component of their practice to the discipline of rhinoplasty, performs them often on a weekly basis, and has done so for a decade. Look at the surgeon's before and after rhinoplasty photo gallery to get idea of the caliber of work that's being performed. For more information about rhinoplasty and sinus surgery, please see the link and the video below

ENT or Plastic Surgeon for Rhinoplasty?

In my opinion- for cosmetic Rhinoplasty -  seek a Board Certified PS with extensive experience in Rhinoplasty. If you have a severe sinus disease - you may want it to be treated by an ENT. Always look at Surgeon's qualifications, a wide gallery of before and after photos..

Rhinoplasty

I would recommend when looking for a surgeon to perform your rhinoplasty that you choose one who is board certified and specializes in rhinoplasty to ensure you are in the hands of a highly skilled rhinoplasty specialist. You may also want to look on the Rhinoplasty Society website as this lists the top surgeons in the world who specialize in noses. I would also look at the surgeon’s credentials, memberships, educational background, reviews and before and afters. Before and afters are a good indicator of their techniques and outcomes from rhinoplasty surgeries and reading reviews from other patients is a good way to see what their experience with the doctor was like. Best of luck in your endeavors!

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question.  You will see many different answers to your question.  Plastic surgeons will say plastic surgeon and ENTs will say ENT.  I would recommend focusing much more on what the results the individual surgeon you pick can show rather than the picking only based on the specialty.  There are many good rhinoplasty experts in each specialty.  It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

ENT or Plastic Surgeon for Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  Whether you are seeing an ENT or plastic surgeon - it is most important that you find a surgeon that understands your aesthetic goals and that he/she is actually able to achieve consistent results. You can sort this out by asking to see before and after photos and also inquiring about 3D imaging. With imaging - we are able to visually communicate with our patients to ensure we are on the same page regarding your aesthetic goals. 

If you see a plastic surgeon - they should be able to coordinate with an ENT for your sinuses. This is something that I do regularly in my practice. 

Ultimately, I would always recommend that you see multiple rhinoplasty surgeons to ensure that you are finding the best fit for you. Patients almost never regret asking for more than one opinion. Good Luck!

Jon Kurkjian, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for posting your question. Many ENT physicians nowadays are board certified for plastic surgery as well. From what you describe, it sounds like your sinus has medical conditions that require the attention of an actual ENT doctor. I would recommend looking for experienced, double board certified physicians in your area to meet both of your goals. Best of luck. 

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon