What would cause such a deep fold of skin when a tummy tuck is done? (photos)

We noticed the day after surgery that there was a deep fold of skin on the right side and a smaller fold of skin on the left side. Can this be corrected to leave a smooth stomach.

Abdominoplasty

It looks like you have some areas with ischemia (lack of blood supply to tissue), it could just be bruising but I would try to see your surgeon as soon as possible.  Good luck, Jane

Fold After Tummy Tuck

Thanks for your question! That fold certainly doesn't seem to be normal. However, you are only one day out. Let it settle for awhile and see if it goes away. If it doesn't go away after a few months, yes then it will definitely need to be addressed. Of course, at this early post op stage, you should be in close contact with your plastic surgeon anyway, and I would definitely bring this concern up to him/her.  Best of luck!

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Deep folds after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. Ill be honest, its a little hard to tell whats going on from the photos. A few photos from a little further away and a front view would help. These photos would give a little more perspective. I definitely think you should at least visit with your plastic surgeon and have him evaluate you to make sure everything is going as he expects. You have some blistering that I see and that may be due to multiple reasons but once again your plastic surgeon will know better what was done and can explain things better to you based on that. Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon