Should I call my doctor? Is this much bruising OK? (Photo)

I am 5 days post surgery. I had a breast lift with implants. I am unsure of what to expect. I know the swelling could take months to go down but is this much bruising ok or should I be concerned. I have taken photos everyday to keep up with them changing. Thanks so much.

Should I call my doctor? Is this much bruising OK?

Thank you for your question.  Although swelling and bruising is typical and can be variable, you should call your surgeon if you're concerned.  It's better to be on the safe side.  Good luck, I hope you do well!

Should I call my doctor?

Thank you for sharing your pictures. Based on them, it looks like you are healing good, bruising is sometimes expected, but if you have any concerns, I would suggest to get in touch with your surgeons office so they can examine you and verify that everything is ok.

Franco R. Jacome, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Should I call my doctor?

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well. I always think that is a great idea to call your PS if you have any concern about your surgery. He will tell you what is going on with your recovery procces and will calm you. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Yes - call your doctor

You should call your doctor and arrange an appointment. There is quite a lot o brusing and oedema around the areolae and it is better and safer to get checked

Riccardo Frati, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Should I call my doctor? Always!

If you are concerned, call your doctor.  Only she or he is well acquainted with your case enough to truly answer. never take the word of an Internet consult over your own surgeon!  

That being said, your swelling looks symmetric and as long as you stay in compression you should do well. Bruising is expected. That being said, call your doctor. As a plastic surgeon I want my patients to contact me with post op concerns at 5 days. 

I hope this helps 

Melinda Haws, MD

Calling your doctor

You should hesitate to call your doctor, only he/she will know how much brusing you should expect.   I am sure he/she would be best at answering your question, good luck.  

If you are SO to concerned to post here on RealSelf, than YES call your surgeon! Though appears as acceptable ecchymosis. CALL NOW!

Some bruising is expected after a mastopexy and implants

It appears as though you have bruising and swelling on both breasts which can be normal. Everyone has varying amounts of these issues. I normally see my patients within the first 2-5 days to evaluate to make sure there is nothing out of the ordinary. You should contact your doctor to see if he wants you to come in.

Christopher J. Ewart, MD
Augusta Plastic Surgeon