Breast augmentation infection after hematoma removal. Is sulfametoxazol strong enough to heal the infection? Options? (Photo)

I had surgery sept.8 in FL Im from texas. 10 days after my breast aug i developed a hematoma. I flew back and PAID TO get it removed . Soon after i developed an infection. (Maybe implant?). Having trouble follwing up with my PS. They never reply. I called around to local PS and they say that my infection is my PS's problem to fix. nothing but bad is coming from this place. Im confused would i need to get it removed? How do i even get taken care of if i cant get a reply or new PS to see me.

Breast infection

Hi.  your infection is a serious matter.  If you are unable to communicate with your plastic surgeon, you need to see a local surgeon, or at least your primary doctor asap.  If left untreated, you can get really sick.  And antibiotics are likely not adequate treatment.  Many of the doctors on RealSelf would be willing to help you.

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Infected breast implant

Hi Why

Very sorry to hear about the issue.  That is a problem with surgical tourism.

The Antibiotic alone is NOT adequate, you need careful follow up with the doctor to monitor your progress and adjust course as needed.

I encourage you to continue to contact your doctor.  If that doesn't work ,my office is in Southlake.  I'll agree to see you, and we can decide if we will establish a doctor patient relationship.  

Breast aug problems

Thank you for your questions. I am sorry you have problems after the surgery. It is important you need to communicate with your surgeon. Mean while please see a local PS if not possible at least a primary care physician for evaluation. Good luck.

Antibiotics for infection

I am very sorry to hear what you are experiencing and this must be both difficult and frustrating.

First things first, you have to get the infection taken care of by your family doctor if you are unable to get hold of your plastic surgeon and their emergency nurse team. You must take what they provide and you cannot self-medicate. I am assuming that the infection was diagnosed by a physician, and if so, then they should prescribe antibiotics for this as well. There are many antibiotics and the decision as to which one is prescribed has to be tailored to the type of bacteria that caused it which in the case of the breast infection is often Staphylococcus aureus. So this can include antibiotics such as cephalexin, dicloxacillin, etc. I do not think sulfamethoxazole by itself is effective enough.

Secondly, your plastic surgeon should have a system in place for prompt communication between themselves, their team, and you, the patient. It is their obligation to address your concerns and they should be able to take time to answer you thoroughly. Please call the clinic, and speak with the nurse available to know what to do if unable to reach your plastic surgeon and explain them the whole situation. Be transparent as to what is happening, and your feelings as well, and focus solely on addressing the problem, i.e., infection, lack of communication, concerns over post-operative complications and their impact on your results, etc.

You may have to book a follow-up meeting to make sure you are healing well and to make sure capsular contracture does not start to occur. Infections can increase inflammation and aggravate the capsular tissue around the implant to contract. This is one of the setbacks of not getting a local surgery. Recovery is highly important and following the post-operative instructions of your surgeon is crucially important. Their instructions should precedence over everything else you read on here. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD