My annual breast exam found I had a ruptured implant. How large is the scope of the removal (no replacement of the implant)?

The implants are very old 1980, I am 71 and dont want them replaced. I have various complaints from mental fog to tiredness and muscle pains. How do I find if the silicone has miagrated and what is the scope of the removal surgery.

Ruptured implant

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.  The implant and capsule does need to be removed.  It will be a fairly involved surgery and you can expect to have drains placed for approximately a week.  I recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to learn more.  It is helpful if you can bring your mammography report with you.

My annual breast exam found I had a ruptured implant.

You will definitely need to have both implants removed along with their surrounding capsules. It's a significant surgery so choose your surgeon wisely.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. The "scope" of breast implant removal  and capsulectomy is not great;  in other words, any well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon who does a lot of breast surgery will be able to help you.

Key to safe and effective surgical outcome will be: preoperative medical clearance from the doctors who know you best. Then, carefully select your plastic surgeon. Make sure that he/she is a board certified plastic surgeon working out of a fully accredited surgical facility or hospital along with a board-certified anesthesiologist.

Implant material removal

This is a relatively straight forward procedure, however, there are a few things of which you need to be aware.

1) Most often the implant material is confined to the capsule so removing the entire capsule intact is what I usually try to do.

2) Almost always I will place drains after irrigation of the pocket. These stay on average 7 days.

3) Without a mastopexy, the breasts generally do not look as good after the implants are removed.

Best of luck.

Joel M. Stewart, Jr., MD
Newnan Plastic Surgeon