29 y.o w/ L breast pain for 2 years after Silicone Implants, No CC. PS to do capsulectomy & replacement. Muscle/Tissue related?

I had a 304 and 339 under the muscle silicone implants 2 years ago. 2 months later i started having left breast pain, mainly under my areola. When i push on my implant my tissue feels bruised around the breast. No lumps or swelling. What could be causing my pain? is a capsulectomy a good idea if I dont have CC.

Breast pain after a breast augmentation

Hi and thanks for the question. Discerning the cause of breast pain is difficult to do without examining you primarily. Given your presenting story, a capsular contracture may be the culprit - however this no guarantee that a capsulectomy will relieve the pain. An alternative treatment consideration would be a trial of Accolate. With a lack of success or change in clinical symptoms after 3 months, I think a capsulectomy is a reasonable consideration, assuming the remainder of your exam does not suggest you need further studies, such an an ultrasound, mammogram, or MRI. I would confer with your surgeon to find the best treatment plan for your particular case.

Dr. Vallecillos 

Pain after Breast augmentation

It is unusual to have the type of pain that you describe without capsular contracture 2 years postop. I do understand your surgeon's recommendation because release of even a thin capsule may help if the capsule is pinching a nerve. It is hard to make a hard recommendation without physical exam, but ask your surgeon about a course of anti inflammatory medication. This may help. Good luck.

Robert M. Tornambe, MD