20 year old seeking opinion about tuberous breasts and implant size? (photos)

My breasts have always been small, but I've also always felt that they never quite looked round enough, either. I am planning on getting an augmentation within the next 2 years, and really want to get to a B cup. My questions: 1. Are my breasts constricted? 2. Given my breast volume and shape, could an implant that equates to a two cup size increase look natural? 3. I'm leaning toward the ideal implant. Would a tear-dropped shape silicone implant be better, given my shape? Thanks, y'all!

Tuberous Breasts?

Dear justacurious10,

You can see by the conflicting opinions on the doctors’ responses it is not clear whether you have tuberous breasts or not from the photos. This will have to be determined with a live consultation. If you do in fact have tuberous breasts the typical treatment would be to put in an implant and then do circumareolar mastopexy (donut breast lift). I think your choice of an Ideal Implant is excellent, and you are better off with a symmetrically-shaped implant such as the Ideal Implant. Introducing a shaped implant will not give you any superior fullness. In addition, if a shaped implant such as the teardrop rotates in your body you will have an odd-looking breast shape.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Good questions

You have obviously been doing some investigation about breast augmentation, based on your questions. You have a very subtle suggestion of breast constriction around the areolae which is also asymmetric. As noted by others, your breasts are also widely separated.  The quality of your skin and the soft tissue under the skin will be important in determining what will work for you in terms of implant types and sizes. Assessment of those qualities require an in-person examination with a property trained plastic surgeon with American Board of Plastic Surgery certification or eligibility. A surgeon with that training and qualification will be able to address all your questions.  My opinion is that you will likely be able to achieve significant results, based on the information you have provided and your photos. I hope your experience is a great one.  

Jeffrey G. Copeland, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Suggestions for Implant Size

There are some tuberous breast characteristics in your breasts...i.e.: some nipple/areola herniation on the right side/tight inferior aspect (pole) on the left side. It will be pushing the skin brassiere to increase your breasts 2 full cup sizes, however a B cup** should be achievable. It is likely, due to the asymmetric breast volume naturally present, that you may have two differently sized, possibly differently shaped, implants. In my experience round implants work well in similar cases. I recommend silicon filled implants. The wide spacing/lack of cleavage can be improved some, but depends on where the insertion of your muscle is on the breast bone.
** Bra cup sizes are NOT standardized.

-Dr. Steve Byrd

Steve Byrd, MD

Options for breast enhancement

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos, it appears that you have small breasts, not so much tuberous.  Breast implant selection is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon. Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest. It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like. It's important to focus on the look that you want instead of a specific cup size or implant size.  Given that manufacturers recommend that a patient be at least 22 years of age for placement of a silicone implant for augmentation, choosing the Ideal Implant round saline implant would be an excellent choice.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation for tuberous breast

Yes 450cc sounds good, I did the exact same case Friday, the breasts will need to be internally splayed. You will lose sensation of the breast and probably have breast feeding affected. See an ASAPS board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Are breasts just small or are they tuberous?

It does not appear from your photos that you have tuberous breasts, but a complete exam in a formal consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is the best way to know for sure. While surgeons may vary opinions on what they recommend for implant, you do look like you would benefit from breast augmentation, and would be able to increase two cup sizes whether you select round implants or shaped implants. There are pros and cons to each, and doctors you see will be able to discuss them with you so that you can make an informed decision. I would try to get opinions from a doctor who routinely uses both, or have consultations with multiple doctors so that you understand why each are making recommendations.  I have found that while I have used shaped implants, round implants have produced excellent results, even with patients who have tuberous breasts.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Breast size/ breast augmentation

During your consultation I like to find out your goals (i.e. What cup size  you would like to be ).
Its important to measure the width of your breast to determine which implant you need. There are four different profiles of round silicone implants. They are moderate, moderate classic, high and ultra high profiles.

The shaped implants also come in different profiles like the round implants, shaped implants come only as silicone gel filled implants . Round implants come as silicone gel filled or saline filled implants . 

You would get a good result with either round or shaped implants. You have to be 22years or older to get silicone filled implants. Since you want to wait 2  years for surgery you should be eligible for both.

I use the bloodless breast technique which I invented. Bleeding is minimal, typically there is no bruising after surgery, and recovery is a lot quicker versus traditional technique .

I hope you find this information useful. For more information please watch the enclosed video.

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Breast Augmentation Options

Thank you for your question and photos. Your breasts do appear to demonstrate some constriction around the areolas. I recommend that you meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your goals and options in person. They will likely review different implant options and pros/cons for each.  My patients find it helpful to try on the implant sizers in the office with a form fitting T-Shirt, in order to get an idea of how they will look.

All the best

Tuberous Breasts

Yes, you have tuberous qualities to your breasts. Shaped, form stable devices do best in your situation and contrary to most of my colleagues opinions, will deliver a different result than a round implant. No one knows what size implant will give you two cup sizes; physical examination will determine the appropriate implant size for you. Ideal implants are not ideal. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

You simply need appropritely selected implant

You do not have tuberous breasts. You do not have constricted breasts. You simply need breast implants. Let a plastic surgeon guide you about sizes at time of one to one consultations.

Vasdev Rai, MD