Worried about flat, wide breasts if I have a reduction and lift (Photo)

I want to have a tummy tuck and breast reduction with lift done. My breasts were sized at a 38F and they were 34DD before kids. Now that my breasts have lost some of the shape and are sagging worse I'm worried that after a reduction and lift they will be wide and flat. I'm getting a reduction no matter how they'll turn out, but I would like to know ahead of time if there's anything that can be done WITHOUT implants to give me more shapely full breasts.

Avoiding Wide boxy breasts after reduction

Thank you for your picture. In my opinion, there are breast reduction techniques that avoid wide boxy breasts.  You need to ask your surgeon which technique he or she uses to get the best breast shape and then you view the results from other patients.  Implants are not necessary for you.

Worried about flat, wide breasts if I have a reduction and lift

Hi Karly,

By your photos you appear to be a good candidate for a breast reduction and tummy tuck combined.The shape of both the breasts and tummy after surgery is a matter of technique of knowing what tissue to remove and how to reposition it. Traditional reduction techniques would leave the breasts flat and "bottomed out". Newer methods are far superior.
Our surgery center is offering 10% off their cost and the anesthesiologists fees for the cosmetic (non-insurance) portion of the procedure.
Good luck

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

Hello Karly, thanks for your question, Ive seen your pictures, a breast lift and reduction would be the selected procedure, Tummy tuck with muscle repair can be done simultaneously (mommy makeover), there is a breast lift technique that use your own tissue to give and implant like appearance. This surgery have an estimated time of 4-6 hours, a recuperation of 4 weeks, cost can vary from US$4,000-4,500.

Regards. Dr. Kemil Issa

Kemil Issa, MD

Beautiful Breast with a Breast Reduction

Hello and thank you for a great question about breast beauty after a breast reduction.  

One goal of plastic surgeons even with reconstructive procedures such as a breast reduction is to leave the patient with an aesthetically pleasing result.  That is to say, you want and need smaller breasts because of the health issues large breast may be causing you, but you still want and deserve a beautiful outcome. 

With a breast reduction you should be left with a breast that has more fullness in the upper pole, sagging is reduced greatly if not completely eliminated, and your breast should be symmetrical. I noted that in the picture one breast is slightly larger than the other.  Health concerns associated with large breast should largely clear.

A breast reduction is the twin sister as a breast lift.  The breast should appear firmer, lifted and more youthful. Yes, scarring will be present, but almost all of my patients feel it is well worth it for the beauty and health benefits.

Note that some insurance plans may also cover a breast reduction if you are suffering from skin irritation under your breasts, have back and shoulder pain, or if other daily living activities are effected by your breast size.

Consult a board certified plastic surgeon in person for further advise.

Best of luck moving forward.

Dr. Obeng

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Shaplely breasts after breast reduction

Certainly you should seek the advice of a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area. Today's modern techniques of breast reduction should not produce a boxy flat appearing breast. Ask to see photos of the physicians work. I tell my patients it's a battle between beauty and blood supply.  We want to make a pretty breast but certainly want to have all of the tissue stay alive. Good luck with your search.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast shape after reduction

The shape and result of any breast reduction is all in the technique. You can have a breast reduction and still have nicely shaped full breasts. In fact, during breast reduction consultations, I tell my patients that one of the reasons I cannot guarantee a specific cup size is that I want to perform the reduction in a way that reduces the size but maintains a nice and full (albeit smaller) shape. My goal is to keep a nice proportion with the overall figure, and also give the breasts a nice full rounded contour, rather than simply removing X amount of tissue. (The other reason surgeons do not guarantee cup size is that not all bra brands use the same method of sizing. Bra sizing is not standardized.) Look for a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a lot of breast reductions, and look at his/her before and after photos to make sure you like the results.

Anita Patel, MD, FACS

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question and photo.  It appears that you are a worthy candidate for a breast reduction.  If you are careful to choose a surgeon who is board certified in plastic surgery who is also an expert in the breast reduction procedure, you should not worry about having flat breasts as a result.  It would be best for you to look at surgeons' before and after photos to get a good idea of what your result might be like.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL