TT in Mexico - Do you recommend pre surgical wipes?

I am planning to go to Cancun for surgery in January. Full face lift, tummy tuck and Lipo Because it is in Mexico, I am trying to be extra careful. Do you recommend pre surgical wipes? It seems like a good safety measure. I have also ordered SinEcch - Arnica Montana. Although I feel I am taking a slight risk by going overseas, I feel I can trust this doctor. I still want to ensure that I am doing everything I can on my own. Do you have any other recommendations? Thank you!

Tummy Tuck in Mexico?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Medical tourism is a risky although cheaper way to have procedures done. I cannot recommend you doing this. In fact if there is a complication when you get home you will have a hard time finding anyone here to take care of you, be careful. I would reconsider, I know there are qualified doctors at home that would be happy to perform these procedures, however, you are scheduled for a lot of surgery in one day. For safety reasons you should consider doing this in 2 stages as has been mentioned here previously. Your safety is the greatest concern. The standards in other countries are not the same. Having met some doctors in Mexico there are fine well trained doctors, but then again there are others that are not and it is really hard to tell the difference. What kind or anesthesia is going to be used? Who is going to give the anesthesia? What are the post op care facilities like? Will you have enough help after the procedure. There are many questions that would have to be answered before considering this. While it might save money going there consider why it saves money. You will have no recourse if there is a complication as well as the quality of care may not be the same. It is really difficult to compare the two. Is the facility credentialed? Is the doctor credentialed and by whom? Is that even a recognized board? There are many doctors who seem legitimate but really are only after the money, so be careful.  

Multiple surgeries in Cancun.

As nearly every surgeon has responded, the measures you are taking are fine for minor issues, but the risk of having two major surgeries at the same operation in a foreign country far from home is a risk to your health and life. No elective cosmetic surgery is worth your life. Have you met the Cancun surgeon in person and researched where he will be doing the surgery and what is his protocol for infections, blood clot prevention or other complications? I would recommend staging the procedures and discussing your concerns with a board certified surgeon closer to home.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Travel for Cosmetic Surgery

Traveling abroad for cosmetic surgery is very risky. You will have little to no control over the sterility of the location you are at, and bringing wipes or anything else for that matter, is not going to change your outcome. The best advice I can give you is to reconsider this decision. Complications from Mexico are unfortunately all too common and it is not worth any cost savings to risk your life. 

Do you recommend surgical wipes?

Thank you for your question. I never believe it it is a good idea to leave your country for plastic surgery. It is important because if anything happens you want to be able to keep going back to your PS for follow up visits. Just remember you get what you pay for. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Recommendations?

The best and only recommendation I can make is for you to find a US board certified plastic surgeon and have the surgery where you live. All the things you mentioned will not lower your risks. The fact they would do that combination after you being on a plane is uncomfortable.

Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Tummy Tuck in Mexico?

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, pre-surgical wipes and Arnica are the least of your worries.  I highly advise against traveling to Mexico for your procedures.  First of all, a facelift, tummy tuck, and liposuction is a LOT of surgery to have done all at once.  It isn't impossible, but I would seriously recommend giving that some thought.  No matter what surgery or surgeries you want done, it is imperative that you choose a board certified Plastic Surgeon here in the United States.  By traveling out of the country for surgery, you have no guarantees of the level of training of your surgeon (is he or she even trained in  Plastic Surgery?), no guarantees of the safety or cleanliness of the surgery center or hospital you are in, no guarantees of adequate postoperative care, no guarantees of personal safety, and no guarantees of adequate surgical results.  If you have complications from your surgery, believe me, the surgeon in Mexico isn't going to be there for you.  And once you return to the United States, you will absolutely have an extremely difficult time finding a US Plastic Surgeon to assume your care.  If you do need something done because of a complication, it will end up costing you thousands of dollars. 

At the end of the day, yes, it will be more expensive to have surgery here in the United States close to home.  You are paying for piece of mind and guaranteed surgical training and safety when you choose a board certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best of luck to you.   

Surgical tourism

Thank you for your question.  You are correct to be concerned.  Although it is difficult to convince people of this, surgical tourism is highly inadvisable for dozens of reasons.  I've personally seen this go awry for patients I have had to care for many times and it leaves patients without recourse.  Even if this doctor is skilled and trustworthy (many are neither), there are simply too many variables your surgeon cannot control.  My very strong recommendation is for you to seek a local or regional board certified plastic surgeon who can help you get through  the entire process of preoperative and period and post recovery and can address your ongoing concerns.  Upfront costs may be more, but the peace of mind and the money saved if something goes wrong will be well worth this added cost.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Tummy tuck in Mexico?

I would  agree  with most of the responses here and  encourage you to make your decisions carefully; medical tourism although certainly cheaper, may not be the safest way to proceed. Select your plastic surgeon based on the quality/safety record. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work and preferably communicate with some previous patients as well. Make sure you also consider factors such as follow-up and treatment of complications that may occur, even in the best of hands. Best wishes.

PS in Mexico

Hello, thanks for your trust and for posting your inquiry. I don't know how long you are going to stay in Cancun, which is a paradise by the way, but those procedures need to be staged at least in two different time surgeries. The post-op care needs to be discussed directly with your surgeon, who I am sure will provide all the required information. 

Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!  Respectfully,  

Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon 

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Surgery out of the country

Sounds like a lot of work of one day. I would say you are best to have it done closer to home and maybe stage them.  Post-Op care is very important, and having surgery out of the country will prevent you from following with your doc long term.