Where is my labia? (Photo)

It will be a week tomorrow since surgery. I know its early but...when I look I don't see my right labia. I'm just nervous because she is my gyno but doesn't specialize in labia reduction. Is it supposed to be cut off and stitched into my whole area? Will there be one after the stitches? It just looks like there's NO labia there. I am so scared.

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question. The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate the results. I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.     

Best of luck.      

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Labiaplasty Post-Op Concerns

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months.

Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and the way in which your body heals.

Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful

Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.

Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week.

It is most likely that you are still early in the healing process. However, if you are concerned or worried at all about the progress of your healing you should not hesitate to visit your surgeon to have the area examined to make sure that everything is going well. Good luck.

Removing Too Much Labia Minora

Hi...  It does appear that most, if not all, of your labia minora were removed.  This is one of the risks of this surgery in the hands of inexperienced practitioners.  However, how much labia remains will depend on how far out you are from your procedure.  Early on, swelling can make the labia appear smaller than they really are.  You should wait at least 3 months to see the full effect.  If the labia are too small, which is likely, then you will need reconstructive surgery to be planned by whoever will do that procedure for you.  Some patients ask for very small labia but not most.  Good luck and be patient.
Dr. Parham Ganchi - NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Where is my labia?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  It does appear that your gynecologist removed the near entirety of your right and left labia minora while not addressing the excess tissue along your clitoral hood and the posterior aspect of your vagina.  At this point you need to allow your results to fully heal before entertaining any additional reconstructive procedures.  This often takes between 3-6 months.  Once healed the excess hood tissue can be used to help reconstruct your minora.  Hope this helps. 

Labiaplasty reconstruction

I reviewed your photos. It appears that most of your right labium and much of your left labium minora were removed from a trimming labiaplasty. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is much more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about four years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. I probably would recommend clitoral hood flaps (at least a clitoral hood flap on your right and re-arranging the tissues on your left) to reconstruct your labia.  You are a perfect candidate for this procedure, which I invented about ten years ago.  I have done this procedure at least 50 times with excellent results. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

YET ANOTHER "Avoidable Unintentional Female Genital Mutilation" at the hands of an inexperienced surgeon

Your labia are in a jar of formaldehyde (sic). You are right that your inexperienced surgeon (probably your general Ob/Gyn!) didn't know "the rules" and amputated your labum. Nothing you can do right now except let it heal well, and "live in it" for a while. If the final appearance and function (you'll have to wait 3-6 months) is satisfactory, no problem. If not, see a cosmetic gynecologist experienced in "flap procedures." Your surgeon didn't know what to do about your sizable clitoral hood, & just left it be., This hood can be brought down ("island flap") to cover your denuded opening. However, the same experienced docs who would have charged you an average of $4000-$6500 for your labiaplasty will charge you $6000-$8000 for a revisionary flap procedure. (See Weblink, "Botched Labiaplasties."

Take-home message: Do your homework BEFORE your LP instead of coming in horror AFTER you've been "botched" by a minimally experienced "general Ob/Gyn...

Regards,

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

botched labiaplasty 1 weeks post op

Dear RBroccoli:

Thanks for sharing.  I have performed many labia revisions over the course of my career and though I agree with most on this site about your choice to have this done I do feel there is hope for you postoperatively.  I do agree your right labia is gone, but there is hope to make you feel more symmetrical and normal in the future.

two options come to mind:

1) Lateral prepuce flap reimplantation:  On your right side (left side of the photo) please note that you have excess skin to the left of the clitoral hood-- sometimes this cab cut in such a way that it remains attached near the base of the resected labia minora and swung down and reimplanted 180 degree from its current position. In other words the instead too the flap of tissue is up and vertical next to the clitoral hood and is down and vertical at the site of the old labia minora

2) increase symmetry between the right and left side---  you do appear to have a small edge of the labia on your right side ( i.e. left side of the photo) and the reason why this looks odd to you is that you have a larger labia on your left side ( or the right side of the photo).  So it looks like you are right side heavy.  By reducing this labia minora to be more consistent with the other side it will give you a balanced look. Also if this were done i would recommend reducing ( i.e. removing ) the lateral prepuce on your left (right side of clitoral hood ) and  right side ( i.e. left side of the clitoral hood) because this makes your clitoral hood area look too wide and heavy.  This is a surgery of optical illusions.  By making things more symmetrical and they become less noticeable.  please see my website for revision of botched surgeries.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Labia missing

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture your R labia looks over resected. At this time just need to wait tll everything healed and re assess. Please talk to your surgeon. If consider revision please consult with a surgeon who have more experience with the procedure.

I had my Gyno who doesn't specialize in labia reductions do my surgery - I'm scared

I'm sorry about your results. There is nothing you can do about your absent right labia minora. You can have the other side reduced further so you would appear more symmetric, but your right labia won't grow back. Obviously, this isn't ideal, but just an option. If you choose to do this I would recommend you find a surgeon who is experienced in revision Labiaplasty.

I really am sorry.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

What happened to my right labia?

Dear Rbroccoli,

Thank you for sharing your experience and your photo.  I am sorry for what you have been through.  The majority of Ob/Gyns do NOT have labiaplasty training but there are surgeons (cosmetic-plastic gynecologists like myself, uro-gynecologists and some plastic surgeons) that have undergone extensive training and perform these specialized procedures.  Please do your homework and get more than one opinion before subjecting your genitals to further surgery.

That being said, your right labium has been completely removed.  It will take about 6 months before you should consider having a revision surgery.  The good news is that you do have several options depending on the extent of surgery you want to go through and the end result you desire.  A flap can be created to make a new labial edge, or you can have the other side sculpted and reduced for a "smooth" look. 

I hope this information is helpful and speedy recovery!

Sincerely,

Troy Robbin Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN