5 years post-op. Nose still has dark indentations along both sides and a scooped out appearance. Options? (photos)

I had my rhinoplasty 5 years ago to correct a prominent dorsal hump. Now, it has a scooped out appearance with dark indentations along both sides. I also feel the tip of my nose is disproportionately larger and more round. I have always been self conscious of my new nose, so I spoke with my plastic surgeon regarding these concerns. His reply was that I was one of his "trickiest cases" and I was being too much of a perfectionist. Any advice regarding my concerns would be greatly appreciated!

Revision rhinoplasty

A revision rhinoplasty with cartilage grafts to slightly augment the dorsum and correct the inverted V deformity would be indicated. 

Rhinoplasty revision

You have two options;

1. Use fillers like Restylane to hide the depressions

2. Revision rhinoplasty

I would recommend the easy route first. If the fillers do not give you enough improvement then go for a revision. 

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision

Hi, 

I think your nose looks pretty nice, but if you are interested in a revision, I would see a plastic surgeon that specializes in revisions. Revision rhinoplasties are very different than primary rhinoplasties. In general, to correct the things you mention, a surgeon will likely need to take either rib or ear cartilage to reconstruct your nasal appearance. However, be careful in getting too many rhinoplasty revisions as your nose will start to appear "operated on". 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Revision

Hello, you would need a revision rhinoplasty to make adjustments to those areas. Seek out a board certified surgeon who had a large amount of revision experience. Good Luck.

Dr P

Try injection rhinoplasty

You may want to try injection rhinoplasty.  This is ideal to change the appearance of the nose without having to undergo a revision surgery.  Small amounts of filler can be added to the dorsum and along the sides.   It can address your problem areas without more surgery.  The results can last a year.  If you like the results the possiblity of a more permanent filler can also be discussed.

Jeffrey Marvel, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scooped Out Appearance

If you are unhappy with your result, and you don't think your surgeon is able to deliver the results you ultimately desire, you are always able to have a second opinion from another surgeon.  I recommend searching for surgeons with extensive rhinoplasty experience, especially with "revision" or "secondary" rhinoplasty.

Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL