Swelling after Lipo

Is it normal 3 months after Lipo to still swell?

Swelling Can Take Months to Resolve

Please be aware that my comments here are general and can’t be taken as specific medical advice. That said, the simple answer to your question is yes. Some swelling may linger even months after liposuction, along with numbness and bruising, and probably isn't anything to be concerned about at this point. If the swelling persists, I would encourage you to contact your plastic surgeon, who can perform a physical assessment and determine if additional steps need to be taken.

The Healing Process Takes Time

Every patient is different. Some of my patients who undergo fairly extensive liposuction still have swelling 3 or 4 months after their procedures. For others, swelling resolve within a month or 2. Stay vigilant, and if it doesn't improve soon, I would encourage you to contact your plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Arthur M. Cambeiro, MD

Swelling After Lipo

Hello, thank you for sharing your concerns

The recovery after liposuction may vary from a person to other and since its a very stressful procedure for the body you may feel like you are taking a lot of time to heal.

Anyways, contact your surgeon about the incovenient to evaluate recovery options.

Regard.....

Disnalda Matos, MD

Swelling After Liposuction

As with any surgical procedure, you can expect to see side effects post-op. With liposuction being a fairly invasive process, your body undergoes a lot of stress. Some common side effects associated with liposuction procedures can include:

-Discomfort
-Swelling
-Infection
-Bruising
-Anesthesia allergies

If you feel that your symptoms or side effects have persisted for too long, be sure to call your board-certified plastic surgeon as soon as possible. They will be able to evaluate you further, and make recommendations unique to your needs.

Michael F. McGuire, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Swelling following liposuction surgery

Hi, thank you for your question. The swelling after liposuction usually takes 3-6 months and can extend up to a year depending on your activity. It is recommended to avoid activities that can make your heartbeat fast as this will trigger further swelling. Also avoid too much sun exposure.

Boonchai Taweerattanasil, MD
Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Lipo

Hi. Swelling following liposcution can be present for 4-6 months. It is not unusual to see a patient continue to drop sizes over the ensuing 4-6 months following lipo. Liposuction is carried out by injecting large quantities of fluid. Although, much of this fluid is removed at the time of surgery, a significant amount remains behind and keft for the body to absorb. Liposuction is traumatic and this in and of itself will produce significant swelling. IMHO the rsults following a liposuction should not be judged until at least the fourth post-op month. Hope this helps. Good luck, Dr. PG

3 months lipo swelling

Liposuction swelling can last up to a year, depending on the person. Typically it is resolved for the most part within the 3-6 month time span. depending on your level of activity can increase the amount of swelling that you have. It is usually less in the morning and greater in the evening. Your surgeon can maybe give you some suggestions on possible massage techniques or ways to help move it out faster. It is kind of just a waiting game. Don't worry too much. It will get better.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

Yes liposuction swelling can be evident for 6 months or more. I suggest radiofrequency treatments and massages at this point along with diet and exercise.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Swelling post lipsuction

Thanks for your question.  Photos would aid in our diagnosis.

It is not unusual to have swelling for up to 6 months post liposuction.  Many times the swelling can be reduced using massage, ultrasound, steriod injections, wearing a compressive garment.

Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon for their opinion.

Best of  luck.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Swelling aftet Liposuction

Dear mzzezjones,

Swelling 3 months post operative can be normal, but without a photo or in person exam I can't be sure. You should check with your operating surgeon if you are concerned. Good luck!