Do I need stitches again for a re-opening that occurred under my breast after reduction surgery? (Photo)

After having breast reduction surgery everything appeared to be healing well then all of a sudden a small wound area opened as if I busted a stitch or something, but the area appears to be getting bigger, I emailed pics to my physician assistant she stated no need to come in just keep using first aid ointment and gauges 2-3 times a day and it will close but still not seeing improvement yet.

Wound after breast reduction

Wound healing issues after breast reduction, although somewhat uncommon, is always a possibility. Trying to suture things closed will be unlikely to work and could delay healing.  The best option is daily cleaning, dressing changes and allowing your body to heal the wounds over naturally.  The key is to keep a moist environment to allow cells to grow, and to minimize bacteria by keeping the wound clean.  A healthy diet with lots of protein and vegetables is important too.  The wounds can seem slow to heal but should eventually close, and given the location at the bottom of the breasts, it is unlikely you will need touch-up surgery.  If you have concerns that things are getting worse rather than better, you should consider seeing your surgeon to have him or her check you in person.  I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Open wound

The instructions your surgeons office gave you are typical. This is an area of the breast that open has this happen after a reduction, very common. Local wound care is all that is typically needed, you should be seen by your surgeon or someone in his office so they know exactly what is going on.

Open wound

Usually with a small open wound, resuturing it will not help.  It is often best to apply  local wound care and allow it to heal on its own. Best to follow closely with your surgeon.

Do I need stitches again?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photo. When this happens we allow it to heal on its own, because the tissue is too week for sutures at this time. Putting sutures in now could even make the would open up more. Keeping it clean and using antibiotic ointment will help the wound heal on its own, but it is best to contact your PS and get his preferred method to treatment.  A scar revision could be done eventually one the scar is mature enough.Just take good care of your wound and be patient. It will get better with the proper care and time.Best of luck,Dr. Miguel Mota

Miguel Mota, MD

Do I need stitches again for a re-opening that occurred under my breast after reduction surgery?

I am sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced. These wounds go on to heal through a process of contraction where the tissues heal from the sides towards the center of the wound;  this process usually takes several weeks/month to occur, depending on the size of the wound.  Stitching is usually not necessary or successful in these types of situations.

Hopefully you will be seeing your plastic surgeon on a frequent basis; he/she will be in the best position to evaluate your progress. Occasionally, removal of unhealthy tissue (debridement) and/or removal of exposed sutures, may expedite the healing process. 
Best wishes; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.  Sometimes revisionary surgery ( for example scar revision) may be necessary to improve the outcome and/or breast symmetry.

Breast Reduction

Thank you for your question and thank you for sharing your photographs. The area you are referring to should heal with routine skin care. If the area is not healing for any reason I would see your surgeon. Best WishesTheodore T. Nyame MD  Harvard Trained Plastic Surgeon

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Not an uncommon problem

This area is never re-stitched.  It is allowed to heal on it's own.  It is not uncommon for this to heal this way.