Recommendation for rhinoplasty near DC? Am I also a candidate for a chin reduction? (Photo)

I have always wanted the bump in my nose to be straightened. Now, I am am wondering if a less prominent nose will bring more attention to my large chin/jaw. Should I have both reduced? And do you have any doctor recommendations in the DC area.
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

You are an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty.  A strong chin/jaw is a good thing.  I don't think you need to have your chin reduced.  You would want to avoid overly reducing your nose. However, better balance on the profile could definitely be achieved.  Forget DC, just come to Richmond! HA!
Good luck.

Dr. B

Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

You could always address the chin a t a later time if it concerned you.The adequacy of chin projection should take into account several variables including sex, the effect of occlusion on lower lip position, the thickness of the chin pad, and the depth of the labiomental fold. When these variables are not considered, implant augmentation may result in a chin that is unnatural and too large, particularly in a woman.

Rhinoplasty candidate

A closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump to give a straight profile,  refining the tip, and narrowing the bridge line. It is probably best to leave the chin alone. rhinoplasty is a difficult endeavor, so choose a surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience. For more information about rhinoplasty and many examples, please see link and the video below

Facial proportion and balance are key

You make a great point that changing one feature may draw attention to other features. However, the key is facial proportion: reducing your nasal bump and refining the tip will bring it into better proportion with your upper and lower face. With regard to your lower face, chin size is not the primary problem. Your chin appears more prominent because your jawline is narrow, especially the right side which is narrower than the left, and your chin shape is slightly asymmetric. Don't worry - we're all built asymmetrically so it's quite normal!

Augmenting your jawline, right side slightly more than left, either with filler or implants will make your chin appear smaller and in better balance overall. If you feel that your chin is still somewhat prominent then a slight reduction (through an invisible scar inside the lip) is reasonable. Certainly a closed rhinoplasty ("closed" means no visible scar across the base of the nose and a quick recovery) will further refine your facial balance and proportion.

All the best in your search!
- Dr. Rad

Ariel N. Rad, MD, PhD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

There are many excellent surgeons in DC.  You can start by looking at the ASPS or ASAPS websites on line. Best of luck!

Rhinoplasty in DC

From your photos, it does appear that you would benefit from straightening and smoothing out the profile of your nose. I think once your nose is more proportionate to the rest of your face, your chin will be in good balance as well so I don't recommend doing anything to the chin. Nasal tip refinement would also improve the overall appearance of the nose. Best of luck. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin reduction

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from decreasing the overall projection of your nasal tip and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  I have performed chin reductions in similar patients at the time of rhinoplasty with a great balance to the face.  I would need to evaluate you in person in order to give the most accurate advice.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Your vision

The harmony of your face is based on the balance of various features.  Your awareness of the relationship between your chin and your nose is helpful.  The utilization of 3D imaging can identify measurement variations and be used as a tool to simulate outcomes.  this is educational or both the patient and the surgeon.  Patients can start to see what is possible and what is not possible.  Surgeons can better know how a patient sees oneself and the vision that they have for a change.  Once the aesthetic challenges are understood, the functional aspects of any changes need to be addressed.  You have an attractive face and should expect an excellent outcome, but it all starts with the planning and time spent with the patient.

Balancing Nose, Chin and face

It is all a balancing act, getting the nose, chin and profile to blend together best. From your photos the chin looks to be in good shape, but your nose is over-projected. Rhinoplasty should help balance your profile and also help aesthetically.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon