My PS says I can't change my mind on implant size unless I pay a huge fee. Is there anything I can do?? Please help I'm so upset

My pre-op appointment was a few days ago and I chose a size without giving too much thought to it, since I thought I would be able to change my mind if need be. (My surgery isn't for another 40 days). I am now realizing that this size is WAY too large for me but when I called to change it, she said Allergan charges a $500 restocking fee. I am devastated. I wish they would have warned me as I would've given way more thought to sizing. 

Restocking fee

There may be a restocking fee depending on how long the doctor has the implants.  Over 60 days for example  but you are 40 days out from surgery.  But not 500 dollars.  Something seems funny.  Maybe a communication problem?

I would discuss this again with your doctor and find out why.

Don't go through with surgery unless you are confident with the size choice, because you have to live with it for years and years.

Good luck

Implant choice

Thank you for your question.  This is not something that you would expect with changing implant sizes so far in advance of the surgery.  I would recommend speaking to the office again, and if there is still a problem you may want to reconsider surgery.  You shouldn't go through surgery with an implant choice with which you are not happy.  All the best,

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

My PS says I can't change my mind on implant size unless I pay a huge fee. Is there anything I can do??

This sounds very unusual as I am not aware of a $500 restocking fee. In my practice, we understand that changes are possible and make reasonable accommodations. Unless it is a change the day before surgery and new implants have to be shipped overnight, we do not charge a fee. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Allergen does not charge me a restocking fee. I order 3 implants for each case, and send the unused one back. Do not go through with something you don't want. Consider another opinion.

Changing implant sizes

This sounds like a very unusual situation with which I am not familiar. It is unclear whether Allergan, or your doctor is actually charging the fee. I would certainly speak with the office manager to assure that this is the definite policy. Otherwise, you may consider consulting with and other plastic surgeon.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

This sounds strange

I would not think there is any cost involved. In my office at least we do not do this. We can get a size change in 24 hours sent to us FEDX. I would go smaller at a new doctors office if you are not comfortable.

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

#BreastImplants - I can't change my mind on implant size unless I pay a huge fee.

This sounds unusual to me.  New implants can be obtained overnight for minimal charge, and the cost of the implants is the same regardless of the size.  With 40 days to go the total shipping charge should not be more than about $50.  I would suggest that you speak with your plastic surgeon again; this was, hopefully, a misunderstanding on the part of a member of the staff.  I hope that this helps and good luck, Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Implant size change

It is unusual to charge the patient a  re-stocking fee, as Allergan does not charge if implants are not used but returned in a timely manner. Since your surgery is more than a month away, it should be no problem to order a smaller implant and have it delivered in time for surgery as implants can be shipped overnight. I would speak with your surgeon's office again. Good Luck.
Morrison MD 

Restocking fee?

The statement is unusual and do not know of any additional restocking fee. I would discuss again with your surgeon and be certain that both you and your surgeon are on the same page for your goals and expectations.  Ensure that all of your questions and concerns are answered prior to your surgical procedure. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Restocking fee ?????

Dear babyblue,
  I hope to change your title to babypink.
 Your story sound fishy to me. I have been in practice for over 28 years and never heard of 'restocking fee' by a breasts implants manufacturer. As a matter of fact, I have on the shelf , in my surgery center, multiple implants of different size and my patients are welcomed to change their mind even on day of surgery (unless it is special order). 
 Obviously, it is your decision to choose the right doctor for you, but this situation might be your lucky red flag and you should consider changing surgeon, even at the cost of losing your deposit. 
                                Dr Widder