Can I get implants to make my breast full without a lift? (photos)

So I've been contemplating if I need a lift or can I just get implants. My goal is fullness, I don't think they sag their just not much in there. Must I get a lift, area my breast sagging

Improving breast fullness -- is an implant enough or do I also need a lift?

Hello and thank you for your question and photographs. The question of breast implants alone vs implants plus a breast lift is a question I hear quite often, and with a fairly simple answer.  Here it is...  If you want to increase your breast volume and your nipple is below your breast crease, you will benefit more from a breast lift, not just an implant.  In your case, although your breasts appear deflated, both your nipples are positioned at your breast crease, so if you are happy with the position of your breast, then a breast implant alone will likely help achieve your goal of increased fullness.

Breast augmentation involves a number of different issues.  I would first have a detailed discussion with you to clearly define your desired breast outcome goals – this would include the size you would like to achieve, and your ideal breast shape.  I would then select the best breast implant for you based on volume of the implant, contents of the implant (saline vs silicone), shape of the implant (round or anatomic), surface of the implant (smooth or textured), position of the implant (over or under the pectoralis muscle, skin stretch of your breast (more stretch would require a larger volume to fill, as in your breast), degreed of breast sag (which would benefit more from a lift), breast diameter and overall chest circumference, native breast tissue volume, and any history of prior surgery or trauma to the breast.

The next step for you is to find the right aesthetic plastic surgeon.  In your consultation, be sure your surgeon addresses all your concerns and discusses the surgery details including the position and size of the incision used, the type of breast implants available, the risks and benefits of the procedure, recovery time, and post-operative course.  Also, be sure to see plenty of before-and-after pictures in women who have a similar breast appearance to yours, and preferably at different time frames (3 weeks out, 3 months out, etc) to more accurately predict your own surgical outcome.

And lastly, I think the most important component of the consultation is to establish a good connection with your plastic surgeon.  It’s the connection that allows you to clearly define your desired breast outcome goals, the first step of this whole process. If you don’t feel you have a good connection with your plastic surgeon after your consultation, he/she may not be the best surgeon for you.

Good luck.

Mark K Markarian, MD, MSPH

Harvard-trained Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Good luck.

Mark K Markarian, MD, MSPH

Breast lift needed?

You don't need a lift. Your nipples are well above your breast crease and your gland doesn't sag below it. You are ideal for a breast implant this is high profile so you will get a lot of superior fullness and a nice narrowing of your wide breasts as well. This will look more youthful and slender your body.

Breast lift needed?

End Result Goals

Thank you for reaching out and posting pictures! There are a few important factors that go into whether or not a patient needs a lift. Here are a few things that determine if I am going to suggest a lift. 1) Is the measurement from your sternal notch (that little depression above your breast bone) to the nipple longer than 20cm? (8 inches). 2) Does your nipple point downwards? 3) Is your nipple below the crease under your breast? What matters most is receiving the end result you want and will love! Be sure to visit a few experienced Board Certified Surgeons to go over all of your options! I hope this information helps! Best of Luck! Dr. Kachenmeister

End Result Goals

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Two simple concepts need to be understood. First an implant is simply a volume filler. Although there are those who would suggest that it is used to compensate for a droopy breast, this is not true in the long-term setting. This is referred to as the swing effect where, like the hand on a clock that goes from 6 to 8 o'clock, there is an apparent lift effect. The problem is that the implant placed in a loose skin envelope stretches it out and causes the implant to fall again creating now a large droopy breasts. To many patients, however, this may be all they desire since they do not want a scar that is required to perform a breast lift.

A breast lift is a procedure which restores the position of the breast however it requires placing a scar to remove the excess skin and relocate the nipple. This is not a volume procedure unless breast tissue is surgically removed at the same time. These are subtle but relevant Concepts that would be helpful to discussed with your board certified plastic surgeon. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Dr Kayser

Breast implants alone can provide a bit of a lift as well as fuller, larger breasts

It appears as though you could get nice results with just implants since the implants themselves can provide a bit of a lift.  However, we'd need to discuss how large you want to go and review some photos of women that don't get a lift to see if you like how those breasts look.  Once you get an idea of what you can most likely get from implants alone then you should be just fine getting the procedure.

Thank you for your question!

Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Thank you for your question!

Lift or not

It is hard to tell from the photo but if the breasts are a bit low, implants alone almost never do the trick. Some sort of a lift will likely be necessary.

Lift or not

Can I get implants to make my breast full without a lift

If your desire is to be fuller and rounds and no higher on your rib cage, then an implant alone will suffice. The new breast will be where it is at the present time and no higher

Breast Fullness without a Lift

If your desire is to have fullness of your breast as your primary goal, and you accept the present position of your breast on your chest wall, then you do NOT have to have a breast lift performed. Your photos are dark and hard to evaluate as to whether you are what we call a grade 2 or 3, but in general if your nipple areola is at, or just above the breast fold, in my practice, I let you decide.

Breast Fullness without a Lift

Do I need a breast lift?

Hellos and thank you for your question and photos. It may be possible that you do not need a lift if you receive larger high profile implants. That, being said the only way to truly determine whether or not you need a breast lift is with an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. I hope this helps you and best of luck. 

Do I need a breast lift?

Breast evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  It is difficult to tell for sure in this picture without a side profile view, but you may be okay without a lift.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Breast evaluation

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon