I am ready for a breast augmentation. I am 32 yrs old, 5'6", 142 lbs and a C cup. I have had 3 children (Photo)

Does it look like I need a lift? I want fuller breasts and have always LOVED the look of bigger fuller boobs. But now that I am in my 30's and have children I just want to age gracefully and feel confident again. I hate my boobs and how deflated they are. They also have stretch marks. Which I know surgery will not help with. Is a lift necessary and how many cc's would look good and not too top heavy on me? I've tried on sizers and am Leaning towards 400cc silicone.

To lift or not to lift that is the question

A frequent question is wether or not to get a lift with an augmentation.  Ultimately the answer lies in the patients desires.  I recommend you see some one with a 3-d imaging system so that you can see what your breasts will look like both with and without a lift before the surgery is ever done.  Then u get to choose which look you prefer and see if that difference is worth the difference in price.  We have one of those systems and are probably the closest practice to you with an imaging system.  Good luck 

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Based on just a single photo, it appears you may not need a lift with your augmentation.  However, to give you any meaningful advice requires an in-person consultation. Generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Lift or implant

This is the most common question I get in my office and the answer is simple. It depends on you. I divide the patients into 3 categories. 

1. Patient who only need implants. For these patients, the easiest way to determine what they want is based on a "wish pic." Try to find a picture of someone who has a similar body to you beforehand. Discussions about cup size or how natural or unnatural rarely help. I even had a patient tell me she wants completely natural breast in the C cup range just like Pamela Anderson.

2. Patients who can have a lift or just an implant. I have found 50% want the former and 50% want the latter. Their nipples may sit at or just above the inframammary fold. For the ones that want a lift, they usually specifically say they want their nipples to be higher and the whole breast to sit higher on their chests. For the one who only want an implant, they usually don't care about the nipple position and prefer to have large implants without the extra scars from a lift. These patients may be little saggy but their wish pictures are also someone who is a little saggy and they like the "natural" appearance of tear-dropped shaped breasts. 

3. Patients who need a lift. Their nipples may be below the inframammary fold or pointing down. Usually these patients also need an implant.

Will a breast lift be necessary?

It sounds like you have done a lot of research and have good ideas about the look you are trying to achieve. Looking at your photo is appears this you will not need a lift in addition to your breast augmentation. However, that determination can only be made during your consultation with the plastic surgeon.  He/She will be able review your concerns and show you before and after photos of actual patients to demonstrate what the implants can do.
     Good luck in the pursuit of your goal.

Kevin Bounds, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast size and Lift

You have done a lot of good research and are now ready to seek out a local surgeon to get your questions answered and to work out the details.
Your size choice sounds about right but you will need measurements (and an expert assessment with a board certified, experienced plastic surgeon, ideally,) to carry this plan to the next step.

If you have your financial portion in place for a procedure, go ahead and make a consultation appointment.
Best to you!

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

I am ready for a breast augmentation. I am 32 yrs old, 5'6", 142 lbs and a C cup. I have had 3 children

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on the single photograph, it does not appear that a breast lift is necessary but nothing replaces in-person evaluation when it comes to an accurate assessment/advice.  Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. Keep in mind, that breast augmentation surgery does not provide a true "lift"; make sure that your goals will be realistically achieved with the planned procedure.  

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” or "too top heavy" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

The good news is that I don't think a lift will be necessary as long as you are willing to accept that your nipples may not be perfectly centered over the implants. Since you like the "bigger fuller" look, I would recommend a high profile implant. I think 400cc's will make a big difference, and if have looked at sizers and tried them on, you should be quite happy. It's difficult to make a recommendation without breast dimensions. Best of luck!