What to eat prior to surgery?

I'm scheduled to have my rhinoplasty in two weeks. I tend to eat a very healthy, Mediterranean diet, but following my surgeon's suggestions, I have cut out seafood, nuts, seeds, garlic, wine etc. Researching online, I've noticed many sites also suggest avoiding foods with salicylates as they might impact bleeding-- just about every fruit and vegetable is one the list-- including berries and tomatoes and other items like vinegar, cinnamon, and gum. So my question is, what should I be eating?

Preoperative Diet

Dear Willowtree25,In general, I advise people to eat a normal, balanced diet.  Unless you eat things in excess quantities, you are likely to be unharmed.  However, I do provide a detailed list of supplements, medications and other substances to avoid and a different lists with supplements and medications to take in and after the surgery, to promote outstanding results!All the best,Dr. Michelle Yagoda

Surgery instructions

There are many medications and some foods to avoid before surgery.Your surgeon's office should be able to give you a lest of things to avoid.

Diet restriction before and after surgery

Dear Willowtree,   Cosmetic surgery is purely elective and as such, complication should be reduced to a minimum. In my practice, all patients receive diet sheet that they have to avoid for 2 weeks before surgery and 2 weeks after surgery. The list includes food, supplements  and medication to avoid. This is done to prevent problems like  bleeding (Tomatoes, Vit E and C, MSG etc), increase in blood pressure (caffeine etc) and interference with anesthesia (diet pills etc).                                                                                                                                                                         What ever is not on the list is permitted , which includes eggs, meat, chicken, breads etc.                                           I will be glad to send you my list, if you contact my office.                                  All the best,                                                   Dr Widder  

Diet prior to a rhinoplasty procedure

In our practice, we tell patients to eat a normal balanced diet. It's important not to take blood thinners such as aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin E,  and stay off any herbal supplements. Always best to check with your operative surgeon.