My doctor suggested 5-fu for scaround tissue under the skin for scar contractures and burns under the skin. Is this safe?

What is normal dosage? Could this make things worse? Does it work? Anyou skin atrophy?

Kenalog IIT first

I would suggest Kenalog IIT first, followed by fluorouracil if the response is not as expected with the Kenalog alone. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

For years the only way to treat scars was to inject steroids. With the addition of 5FU the results have improved greatly- though hypertrophic scars still show less than a 50 % response. I certainly have used the mixture on my patients for years and continue to do so.

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon

5fu and Steroids for Filler or Scar Complications

5fu and steroids can be tried to get improvement after scars or complications.  I suggest you see an expert for treatment options.  Best, Dr. Emer.