What are the chances that this can be resolved with a re-do/secondary tightening? (Photos)

I had a full tt 1 1/2 years ago and have a buldge left in my upper right abdomen. I feel pressure in this area and ultrasound has ruled out a hernia. Without sucking in this area I feel discomfort. My surgeon says that the problem is my expectations and that I should keep them very low if having a second surgery. He noted in the surgical report diastasis and particular weakness around the periumbilical region. He also said after surgery that he was surprised at the amount of damage.

Tummy tuck revision

From the photos provided, it is difficult to tell, but it does appear that you have a nice postoperative result from your surgery.  It is very common to have some type of contour irregularity, even after a rectus plication, based on areas of pre-existing weakness, or even acquired weakness after surgery.  I agree with your surgeon, that revisions in general for issues of abdominal wall tightness and/or mild bulging have subtle results, and can have significant downtime and possible complications.  Best wishes.

Saratoga Springs Plastic Surgeon

Dear Bluebird:

The result is quite good from the lateral view. If the bulge is along the flanks then monopolar RF or external radiofrequency can be of help  in reducing fat and skin contours. Unfortunately if the muscle is still loose then only surgery will fix this. And yes a redo is sometimes the best correction. I would avoid mesh to repair the thinned out fascia your doctor describes, but ADM such as Alloderm or Dermacell could be used to strengthen the repair. Perhaps you could post your anterior views to help answer these issues.

Thanks,

Dr K Dolynchuk

Ken Dolynchuk, MD
Manitoba Plastic Surgeon

You have a very good result already

not everyone will get a totally flat stomach after a TT. you seem quite close to having that now. it is difficult without examining you, if you would benefit from possible doing Smartlipo on the area of bulging. This would help fat but not muscle. if the bulging is due to muscle laxity, then only tightening the muscle further would help and i don't think it is worth trying to do this on you at this time.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Redo rectus tightening

It's difficult to know since I don't have your pre-op result. Some patients are very loose prior to muscle tightening and so a little laxity after surgery is expected. In this case, tightening once again can be of benefit. Best thing to do is follow your plastic surgeon's advice since he did your previous surgery. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX