I had a Mentor smooth MMP gel breast implant in 2011

.. It has now hardened to the point that there is a constant sharp pain. It feel very swollen and at time has redness. I've been taking 600 ml of ibuprofen for pain. My question is I don't have the money to go in and fix it for maybe 2-3 months. Is there a health risk to this other than the pain . It feels like it's getting harder and harder, if that is even possible

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you see your plastic surgeon for evaluation at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Hardened implant

I’m sorry you are experiencing discomfort associated with your implants.  It sounds like you may have a capsular contracture which is one of the more common post-operative complications with a breast augmentation.  Typically the procedure to correct this issue would be to remove the capsule (the hardened tissue around the implant) and implant and insert a new implant. I would go see your surgeon, however to evaluate the breast.   Do you know if you purchased the warranty Mentor offers for the implants when you had your original procedure?  If so, you may be covered for a new implant and a portion of the cost for the surgery to replace it.  I hope this helps and that you are able to have the implant replaced soon!

Edward J. Ricciardelli, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon