My board certified plastic surgeon says I will need liposuction in a few month and that this isn't normal swelling? (Photo)

Had a full TT on 8/22 with no lipo.Came out of surgery flat but now I have a bulge above incision. Surgeons says I have fat above incision but no fat below incision and that is why it is not lining up. Surgeon said this is not normal swelling. I was told I will need lipo in a few months to even it out. I used to be morbidly obese and lost 140 pounds and have kept it off for 6 years.He also gave me the option of Phosphatidycholine injections. Should I get a second opinion? Will lipo resolve this?

Liposuction Post-Op

While this may not be traditional swelling, it is usual that swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

Revision surgery is unusual but may be desired for several reasons. Most revisions should be done after 9-12 months.  One cause for revision surgery are “dog ears” at the ends of the incisions. These are small folds of excess skin that do not flatten over time.  They can be excised, suctioned or both. Excess fat or loose skin may require liposuction and skin excision to obtain the best result. If your surgeon thinks that this would be the best option to remove any excess fat or skin, then it would likely be best to listen to him.

#massiveweightloss #tummytuck

If it only one month out, I would stay in compression with an abdominal binder and spanx.

I would assess in 3 more months. At that point you will need to determine if this is just a fat issue, or a fat and skin issue. Fat only- liposuction would be an option. Fat and skin- you will need a tummy tuck revision.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Concerns after tummy tuck surgery…

Congratulations on your weight loss history!  Given that you are only five weeks  out of your tummy tuck procedure, I would suggest: patience.  In other words, it is much too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed and/or recommend additional treatment.  Given a description of being "flat" out of surgery, there is no reason to feel that this is not "normal swelling", in my opinion. For some patients,  it takes many months and sometimes even over a year for the lymphatics and venous drainage to function normally and for swelling to completely dissipate.

Having said that, if your appearance does not change significantly over the course of the next year, additional liposuction and/or skin excision may be necessary to improve your outcome. Best wishes.

Probably good advise

It sounds reasonable to consider liposuction to correct the problem. You can see on the photo the stretch marks that indicate to me skin that has lost its elasticity. The point is, your skin doesn't hold that tight appearance it had immediately postop and stretches. Liposuction will flatten out that bulge a good bit. I would not recommend mesotherapy as the results can be less predictable. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon