Vertical fold of skin on neck after face lift. Any suggestions?

I'm one week into recovery from a total face lift, eyes - upper and lower - forehead, and chin liposuction. I noticed that I have a vertical fold of skin on the right hand side of my neck towards the back. Is this normal and will it be permanent.

Will this fold on the side of my neck go away?

Hi.  It's difficult to give a truly accurate response without a picture.  It sounds like the fold that you are referring to is from the closure of the hairline portion of the neck.  It should smooth out over time.  One week is very early. Give yourself some time and try to wait it out.  Let your plastic surgeon know of your concerns.  Good luck!

One week after facelift

It is WAY too early to worry about skin appearance one week after facelift, except for things like infection and major bleeding.  Be sure to discuss with your own surgeon about how this applies to you, and whether they have any special concerns in your case.

Vertical fold after face lift

I cannot comment without a photo . I can say that ,at one week post op, it is premature to make a judgement about your result. Whole total healing is 12 months , the majority of healing ensues during the first 12 weeks post op and with time there are often improvements in areas that may be of concern early on 

Michael H. Wojtanowski, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Fold after facelift

We would need photos to assess - sometimes small skin folds need a slight revision . They occur due to lack of adherence of undermined skin assuming things have been undermined correctly

Fold of Skin

You should discuss this with your surgeon to let him know your concerns. It's very difficult to answer this question without a photo to see what is going on. Most likely this will smooth out over time.

Takes time to heal

Most issues after a facelift go with time and healing.  If the line is still there at 9 to 12 months seek the advice of your doctor.   My Best,  Dr Commons

Residual skin fold after a facelift

Typically one does not see any folds in the immediate post-operative stage.  Nevertheless, small skin irregularities can occure and usually resolve in a few months.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

I notice a vertical fold of skin on the right side of my neck after a facelift.

It is early to make a judgement as to what is causing the fold and a picture would be necessary to give you a better information, but if the fold does not go away after a couple of months, it could be due to a lack of adequate re-draping of the skin. This problem is likely to happen when a short scar facelift is done, because the incision stops just behind the earlobe and the neck skin is not pulled back behind the ears. In these case one would need to do a standard facelift incision and properly re-drape the skin.

One week after surgery is too early of a time. You still have over 50% of your swelling. This most probably is caused by it. Please consult with your physician. Photos also will help us give you a better awnser.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gustavo A. Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Vertical fold after facelift

Thank you for your question.  It is not unusual for there to be temporary vertical folds within the first couple weeks after facelift.  These should go away as the swelling subsides.  Obviously contact your surgeon with your concerns.

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon