Former smoker of 25 years recently quit 6 months ago: I was wondering if that will affect my breast implants?

I was wondering if that will affect my breast implants if I my lungs will be able to handle the weight on them I've already been cleared for surgery but that kind of worries me because a lot of people say they can't breathe that good after implants and I'm just wondering if I will be ok

You may notice some lingering effects of smoking during your recovery.

Congratulations on kicking the habit! Your breathing may be a bit tight during the first few days after breast augmentation. You cannot fully undo decades of smoking history within 6 months of having quit. However, the fact that you’ve quit will be extremely helpful as it relates to wound healing. A board-certified plastic surgeon can tell you more about what size of breast implant may fit your figure and how getting breast implants may impact your body. Best of luck.

Breast implants shouldn’t affect your breathing.

First of all, congratulations on having quit smoking! Secondly, as long as you are in good physical condition, which sounds like the case since your plastic surgeon has already assessed you and cleared you for surgery, you shouldn’t be worried about your smoking history. Some heaviness or other feelings of discomfort in the chest may be expected during your recovery period, but these symptoms should diminish as your body heals. If you’re still concerned, I would suggest addressing this with your plastic surgeon.

Former smoker, will smoking affect my surgery?

Thank you for your question. First of all, congratulations on quiting smoking, patients having surgery must stop smoking at least 2 months before and two months after surgery. That said, patients can have trouble breathing the first couple of days after a breast aumentation surgery due to swelling on their chest. Most important is a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding this procedure. Don’t settle for less!

Former smoker and breast implants

Congratulations on smoking! That's a great way to start improving your life and health!

Many people have trouble breathing after breast implants, but usually just the first few days.  The increased weight and swelling on their chest may affect them when they are lying flat, but often is improved just by sitting in a recliner or using a few pillows the first few nights.  This does not remain long term.

Roxanne Sylora, MD

Former smoker prior to Breast Augmentation

That is great news for you! The only part that you may have difficulty is your first two days after the surgery as you are getting used to the new weight on your chest. Other wise after six months you should be ok after surgery.

Good luck!

Congratulations on stopping smoking.  Now that she'll have stopped I doubt that your breast implants will be affected by your smoking.  From an anesthesia standpoint it might be best to wait another 6 months until coughing and secretions have stopped.  Of course discussed this with your plastic surgeon.

Smoking cessation and breast augmentation

Congratulations on quitting smoking.  Since you quit 6 months ago, there shouldn't be any problem with having a breast augmentation.  Your breathing should be fine.

Former Smoker and Breast Implants #breastaugmentationseattle

• Congratulations on quitting smoking!
  • Since it's been 6 months since you quit, you should do just fine with your breast augmentation operation. 
  • Your breathing should be fine.  Some women do feel that their chest is very tight for a couple days after breast augmentation, and this is expected.
  • Thanks for sharing!

Smoking and carrying the weight of implants...

First if you are worried about the weight (500gms is 1.1 lbs).  What size implant  do you expect you will be getting? Secondly, although cleared for surgery are you in good shape?  (I have done over 5000 breast implant procedures and patients only complain of heaviness during the postop period of 24-48 hours).  This is normal, but breathing is not effected. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon