Mommy makeover surgery. Could doing a couple back dives into my pool hurt my sutures or pop them?

I'm having a Fourth of July party and I will be having people over and a pool party I am 5 weeks post-op I was wondering if doing a couple back dive into my pool could hurt my sutures or pop them.

Post-Op Activity Questions

I generally tell my patients that healing after the  procedure will take time. I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  No lifting or straining.  At three weeks increased level of activity and full, no restrictions, at 6 weeks. Now, since the party and activity that you describe are about a week below that final six-week time period you may want to be a little careful. If anything happens to cause concerns then you would be best to contact your surgeon directly to make sure that all sutures are in place properly and healing well. Good luck.

Mommy makeover

At 5 weeks post op I would not suggest doing back dives/flips into the pool.  Your body is still recovering from surgery and you need time to fully heal. Contact your surgeon with any questions or concerns, Best of luck

1 month post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (1 month post-po) the swelling have to be minimal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy tuck. Ok to do back dives now?

I am glad you feel well enough to do this but if you were my patient I would say NO

after surgery you have lost muscle tone and fitness.
please don't do party gymnastics until your fitness and strength are back to least another month

if in doubt ask your own surgeon ... S/he knows what was done at surgery

Best wishes

Thank you for your question.  If you had a tummy tuck as part of your mommy makeover I would not advise you to perform any back dives as this may compromise your surgical results due to the tension placed along your abdominal muscles and skin.  Hope this helps.

Mommy makeover

Yes, back dives could definitely compromise your result.  Swimming is fine if all your incisions are healed. Be patient. Jane

When is it ok to resume normal activities?

Immediately after surgery your wounds have no strength and for the first two weeks the strength of your surgical repair is about zero.  From a period after the second week until about the end of the fourth week your wounds get to the strength of about 50% of normal tissue.  From 4 to 6 weeks the wounds continue to strengthen and eventually hit about 80% of normal.  

So so what's the bottom line?  I would not want a patient doing back flips or other activity like that for 6 weeks postoperatively.  The chances of injuring yourself is too high and if you pop some sutures it could mean a second major operation. 

Samuel Beran, MD