How long after a Tummy tuck and breast implant can you begin doing yoga and fullback Benz?

Dr Derby

thank you for your question. I would discuss this directly with your surgeon , i would start light aerobic exercises after 8 weeks and then slowly augment intensity. Best of luck 

Returning to exercise

This type of exercise should not be done until 6-8 weeks after surgery, and then only after your surgeon has given you the go ahead.  Recovery is unique to each individual and your surgeon will best be able to advise you when it is ok to return to certain activities based on how you are progressing.

Camille Cash, MD

Exercise ( yoga) after tummy tuck surgery

Tummy tuck surgery includes repositioning of the muscles as well as removing excess skin and fat.   Your body needs to heal both these layers before you stress it with exercise.   Maximal tissue strength takes 8 weeks following the day of your surgery.  I advise patients that they can begin walking immediately post op, but that any exercise which targets the surgical area must be delayed fully for 8 weeks.  Modified stretching and leg/arm exercises can be gradually increased starting at 4 weeks.  Make certain you speak to your operating surgeon regarding his/her recommendations. 

Carlin Vickery, MD

Activity after mommy makeover

Thank you.  In my practice, yoga and back bends are not advised until 2 months after surgery.  Be sure to check specifically with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Resumption of physical activity after mommy makeover surgery.

Specific instruction should come only from from your surgeon. In my practice, any athletic activity targeting the abdominal wall is not allowed until six weeks. Between six weeks and three months activity is increased until it is athletically full at that time.

Urdhva Dhanurasana (Wheel), Ustrasana (Camel), Matsyasana (Fish) = back bends

#Back bending poses require strong core "abdominal" integrity as well as chest opening, both of which are likely to be tight, after being stretched (subpectoral) breast augmentation and repair of any musculofascial laxity = tummy tuck.  As a yogini too, I believe that you could always modify your yoga practice to a "restorative" aspect, as soon as 6 weeks.  The time for resumption of extreme back bends depends on your convalescence and your PS' advice, which (s)/he is most qualified to offer.  Generally, you should be sufficiently convalesced by 12 weeks.  Namaste.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Mommy make-over - when to do yoga and back bends

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • Your surgeon should be the one to give you this advice
  • But in general, yoga and back bends won't be possible until 8 weeks after surgery, on average.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon

Tummy tuck drives the recovery

After tummy tuck surgery, I advise the patients to take two weeks off from work. The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At two months, the patients start low impact cardio. At three months they can engage in more strenuous physical activity. If anything hurts or causes swelling, we ask them to back off somewhat. If you exercise or do some particular activity that results in pain or swelling you are doing too much for your personal recovery at that time.  Not everyone heals the same.  You need to make sure that you don’t cause more swelling.  Fighting the swelling or working through the pain will certainly backfire. I prefer the patients to stay in town for two weeks if they from more than 2-3 hours away.  I do not allow patients to fly before 2 to 3 weeks at the very minimum.

Mommy Makeover - Post Op Exercise

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. Most patients are cleared to exercise by six weeks following a mommy makeover.   it is best to have an in-person follow up examination with your plastic surgeon for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing at this time. Good luck in your recovery.