I would like to know if it's okay to get Botox underneath the eye to relax some lines?

Results Under Eyes Can Be Mixed

In my practice, I often use BOTOX to treat crow's feet at the corners of the eyes and under eyes. Treating wrinkles and lines in the under-eye area can be a bit trickier to get the right results without an unnatural-looking droop or other side effect. To ensure you get the results you want, choose a physician or other qualified injector who uses a light hand when administering BOTOX. This is a powerful product, and it's always best to use too little and adjust as needed than use too much. The under-eye area can also be treated with dermal fillers that can restore the volume that fades over time as the small "fat pads" in this area diminish. That may be worth a try in your case. Good luck!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

It Depends on the Lines

Thanks for your question. BOTOX can certainly be used on wrinkles around the eyes, namely crow's feet. But when it comes to under-eye wrinkles, it really depends on what's causing them. BOTOX works by temporarily halting the muscle movement that causes certain wrinkles. That's why it's so effective on crow's feet, which are usually associated with squinting and smiling. Because of this, it's important to know the underlying cause of your under-eye wrinkles before recommending BOTOX. Other services, such as Fraxel laser treatments and dermal fillers, are good options for this area of the face. A consultation with a board-certified dermatologist can help you further understand the best choice for you.

Susan M. Stuart, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

I find that botox does very little for under eye wrinkles and often makes them look worse.  Fillers, peels, and lasers with or without microneedling do best in this area.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox to lower eyelid

Localized small dose botox injections can be utilized to relax lines visible under eye wrinkles. You should seek a board-certified dermatologist to ensure that such procedure is performed properly. You should also know that under eye injections are more likely to cause bruising and if overdone can actually impair lower eyelid function. 

Andrei Metelitsa, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox to relax lines under the eye

It depends on which lines you are discussing.  Typical injection points include crow's feet, which are lines to the side of the eye, and may extend underneath.  If you are talking just below the eyelashes, it is less advisable, as it may impair your ability to blink.  

It would be best to seek a board certified plastic surgeon to answer this question to see exactly which lines you are talking about.  Injection of Botox can often be simple, but does require judgement to determine who is appropriate or where it is appropriate,

Roxanne Sylora, MD

I would like to know if it's okay to get Botox underneath the eye to relax some lines

In young people with tight skin in the under eye area, it is ok to use small doses of Botox Cosmetic® or Xeomin® to relax under eye lines. However, in most adults there is some skin laxity or looseness in the under eye area. If Botox Cosmetic® or Xeomin® is injected there into loose skin, it will cause it to droop even further, creating a "bag-like" appearance under the eyes So in these patients I advocate using a light resurfacing laser like the erbium Fraxel® to erase under eye lines AND tighten mildly lax skin.   

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Botox injection under eye

For Botox/Dysport, a small quantity by expert injector in specific regions under eye to reduce wrinkles. 

Botox for undereye wrinkles

Thank you for your question. In many cases, Botox can be used to soften under eye wrinkles. If your lower eyelids have too much laxity, then Botox isn't a good option. A board certified dermatologist would be able to determine if Botox would be an appropriate treatment for you. Botox will only soften these wrinkles, the addition of twice daily application of an emollient eye cream is very helpful. Finally, fractionated laser treatments can also be used in conjunction with Botox to get the best outcome. I hope this helps!

Anne Marie Tremaine, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Some Botox can be used in the lower eyelids

Thank you for your question.  A limited amount of Botox can be used in the lower eyelids to treat lines in that area as long as it is only a small amount and it is used in combination with the crows feet area.  It will not likely get rid of all of the lines and may cause some abnormal bunching of skin when smiling. If you don't like it, it will go away in a few months. If it does what you want, remind your injector each time you get it done.  This area is very prone to bruising, so avoid aspirin, fish oil, vitamin E, etc for 10-14 days prior to injections and you may want to use ice afterwards. Good luck.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Botox works well 50% of the time under the eyes.

Botox does good for the lower eyelid creases when injected under the eyes but only works half the time there. I wish it worked all the time since when it works, it does good.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon