Fat transfer (second fat transfer!) and fat just doesn't want to stay!

Is my only hope implants ? I get so many CC applied .. I easily have enough fat to transfer ... $20k later and I lost about 80% of the fat .. I was told that the second transfer would keep more fat but it didn't (weight didn't change I stay within 3 pounds up or down pre and post op . Surgeon did an amazing lipo of my stomach and very happy with that . It's been 8 months since my second surgery and no one can tell I had a second one done .. Weight 160pds

Breast Fat Transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

Thank you for your question. About 60-70% of the grafted fat survives.  At 6 months you will have a good idea of your results. Some women have a second or third procedure which continues to increase your volume safely. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast Fat Transfer

Thank you for your question in regards to breast fat transfer. This procedure can give great, lasting results. Although, it is never guaranteed how much of the fat will actually live in a specific area. Implants may be necessary if you are wanting to achieve a fuller appearance. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Fat transfer for breast augmentation

Although fat transfer is an incredibly useful technique that can produce beautiful results in many different areas of the body, the downside is that it is unpredictable in terms of the amount of fat that ultimately survives in its new location.  Most plastic surgeons would agree that a breast implant more reliably and predictably accomplishes breast augmentation than fat transfer.  Best wishes to you for a beautiful result you love!

Fat transfer vs implants for breast augmentation

There is no question that a breast augmentation with an implant is a more certain way of getting the size you want.  There are trade offs though, namely, the scar and the fact you have an implant.

Fat transfer for breast augmentation has become very popular for the advantage of virtually no scars, all natural result, and the removal of fat from a stubborn area.  The biggest downside to fat transfer is that, of the fluid injected, not all of it is viable fat cells.  There can be damaged fat cells or liquid (blood, oil, saline from the solution used to minimize bleeding).  All of these will resorb over a few weeks and not contribute to permanent volume.  The care with which fat is harvested, processed, and grafted is so critical to the success of the procedure.  The cells need to be placed drop by drop to get best survival.  The fat must be processed properly to get rid of impurities.  Without a tremendous amount of attention to detail the fat survival rate will be low.  Perhaps some people's fat is just not as hardy for surviving the process.

I usually tell my patients to expect around 50% (60% at the upper limit) of the fat to survive.  When we look at the amount that can be placed then the maximum augmentation in one setting is approximately 50% larger than the size of the original breast after all is said and done.

I have tried machines that purport to have 70%+ survival.  The manufacturer wants to sell it to me. They mention the rapidity that I can remove fat and put it in. That sounds great. The truth is, I have found that painstakingly performing the procedure by hand produces better fat survival.

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training &
Assistant Clinical Professor,
McMaster University

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC