Is it common for drooping eyelids to return to pre-op condition one year after surgery?

I had upper eyelid surgery a year ago and I loved the results. My eyelids used to fall on top of my eyelashes, and while it's not as bad as before surgery, I've recently noticed the same issue again. I no longer have the visible crease that I had after the procedure. Is tissue memory a possibility? Should I consult for a second surgery? I might add that I'm only 26.

Drooping lids one year after surgery

Tough to answer without some pictures.  However, if you had a ptosis pre-op and this was not addressed at the time, your lid may still be low.  They may have removed excess skin but not tightened the muscle.  Most people are aware of this before one year.  The other thing that can occur is that pre-op the brow may be stimulated to lift which helps to lift up the eyelids.  Once the excess skin is removed from the eyelids, the brow and forehead will start to relax.  As the brow falls, it will look like you have excess skin again in the upper lid.  This would be addressed with a browlift.

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy eyelids 1 year post surgery

Your case is unsual, and you should return to your original surgeon as he or she understands the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

No posted photos??? So best to seek IN PERSON opinions for revision surgery. It is a bit unusual for this to occur after 1 year, BTW... 

Recurrent drooping after blepharoplasty

It is unlikely the skin that was removed from your upper eyelids could grow back that quickly. Some patients may have a drop in their eyebrow position after upper blepharoplasty, which can make it look like the skin is coming back. If you were happy with the first surgery, I would go back to the same doctor for an examination.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Drooping eyelid one year after surgery could be another problem. Follow up with your surgeon.

It is very unlikely that "tissue memory" would cause recurrence of excess upper eyelid skin one year after eyelid surgery. It is equally unlikely that the problem is a result of aging- especially at 26 years old. If you had a satisfactory result within the few months following surgery and now you again are noticing a drooping eyelid, I would be suspicious of something else going on such as eyelid ptosis. In my opinion, a follow-up with your surgeon or a board-certified facial plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon would be informative. 

Brian Harmych, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Drooping Eyelids after Blepharoplasty

It is difficult to diagnose your problem without pictures.  It is possible you can have recurrence of excess skin of the upper eyelid.  It is also possible there is ptosis of the upper lids, which involves drooping of the upper lids.  I would suggest you followup with your surgeon for evaluation.  Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op one year

It is hard to say without pictures but there is always some falling down after the first surgery but there is  no harm in getting a second opinion.sometimes taking a little extra out is ok.better to go back than to take out too much.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Not typical

change the aging process. Despite this it is unusual for results relapse in one year. This is even more peculiar if you were very young.