I noticed last night that my incision was sensitive to touch & it appears to have changed in appearance. Any suggestion? (photo)

Changes with incision

Thank you for your post as well as the accompanying photos.  It would be helpful to know how long ago your surgery was.  That being said, I do not see anything overly concerning in your photos.  The healing process takes place over several months during which time you may notice subtle changes in the appearance and feel of your incision.  It may appear thick and red compared to surrounding skin over the initial phases of recovery but will soften and lighten in color over the ensuing months.  Be sure to communicate any concerns to your surgeon who knows you and the specifics of your surgery best!  Good luck.

Incision change

Thank you for your question and pictures. It is too hard to answer your question without knowing when your surgery was performed. Nothing in your picture is alarming or concerning. Be sure to follow up with your board certified plastic surgeon. 

Best regards

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Thank you for your question and pictures.  There appears to be a slight wound spreading in the end of the incision but it does not appear to be open or draining.  Nonetheless, you may want to make an appointment with your PS in the next week or so.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Tender incision

From your photo it looks like you may be spitting a suture.I would put a little anti bacterial ointment over it and put a bandaid over it to keep from irritating it.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

I noticed last night that my incision was sensitive to touch Any suggestion? (photo)

YES see your surgeon ASAP. Otherwise seek local boarded PS to render care >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Scar Management

Scar Management tips:
  1. Minimize tension on the scar. Steri-Strips and/or surgical tape are often placed in non-hair bearing areas at the time of surgery to minimize tension and keep pressure over the scar. This minimizes the stress that can pull the scar apart (dehiscence) creating a wound and delaying healing time, and can make the scar wider, or more “ropy”. In the first few weeks after surgery, I recommend the use of Embrace Scar Therapy which is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar.
  2. Keep your incision site/scar clean to prevent infection. Follow your surgeon’s wound care instructions to the letter with out modification. Never apply different products then recommended without first discussing them with your surgeon. This is especially important during the first few weeks. If there are any signs of infection, contact your surgeon’s office right away and/or see your doctor or his nurse immediately. Typical signs of infection may include redness outside the immediate incision site, asymmetric swelling, and drainage, of pus, fever, chills, and “feeling sick”.

Tender incision

Thank you for your question. I agree with the assessment that this is likely a suture that is slitting. I would notify your plastic surgeon. 

Best wishes 
Theodore T. Nyame MD

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Area of scar sensitive to touch and changed in appearance

Hello MNboobies and thank you for your question.  You should relay your concern to your plastic surgeon.  Most likely this is a suture that is  "spitting" out.  It sounds worse than it is.  Many surgeons use absorbable sutures that last 3-6 months after surgery to help support your scar during the wound healing process.  When the sutures stay deep, your body absorbs them over time but if the suture becomes superficial or starts to stick out of the skin, there are no cells to help digest the suture.  This process can cause irritation and redness and is easily resolved once the suture is removed.  I hope this helps!

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

I noticed last night that my incision was sensitive to touch & it appears to have changed in appearance. Any suggestions?

From your photo, I believe you mat have a subcutaneous suture which is becoming irritated and beginning to "spit".  Contact your surgeon, if it is an irritated suture they should be able to remove it.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Incision sensitivity after breast augmentation

From your photos it looks like you may have a " Stitch abscess"  a small amount of puss around a knot of a stitch at the end of your incision.  it is usually treated in the office.  You may be given a prescription for antibiotics.  I recommend contacting your plastic surgeon to be seen in the next day or so.  Best of luck. 

Raymond Jean MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Bryn Mawr, Philadelphia PA

Raymond Jean, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon