5 weeks post op, breasts still aren't settled

I am 5 weeks PO BA. I had 575cc silicone under the muscle, my breast are still hard & still look small (not as big as expecting) , is this normal, how long until they start to settle & I see my results ? Should I massage them , or does it not make a difference ?

Thank you for your question. You are still in early phase of healing. It varies from person to person when it comes to healing.They will continue to change in the next several weeks. Please be patient and follow your PS instructions. I will suggest you to talk to your PS about massage.

You are just 5 weeks post-op but it can take anywhere from 3-6 months for your implants to settle.  Over the next few months, you should notice your implants softening as they drop and settle into place and take on a more natural shape.  Everyone is different, but for example, if you started off an A cup and put in 575cc implants, it can take a bit longer for them to settle.  I typically have my patients start to massage at around 3 weeks depending on how they are healing.  I sometimes use a breast band to help them drop faster so you may want to ask your surgeon about massage and wearing a breast band at your next follow up appointment.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

I appreciate your question.
It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon and please follow his/her post op instructions in detail (including massage).

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Breast implant settling after breast augmentation

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, it is common to have different women's implants settle at different rates over different periods of time. They will remain high for at least a few weeks. If your pre-existing anatomy has your breast creases or breast folds at different positions, they implants will settle to different places. So your preoperative anatomy has a lot to do with a final result. So does the skill of your plastic surgeon, size of breast implants, saline and silicone settle differently, skin quality and activity levels. You are still early so give it some more time. It may take 2-4 months to really see where you are.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

Thank you for your question.  At five weeks post-op, you are still are in the healing process.  Over the next couple months, your breasts should soften, settle into place, and reduce in swelling.  Please be patient, and follow the instructions of your operating surgeon regarding post-op care (including massages).

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

5 weeks post op and hard

575 cc implants are big and your breasts are hard probably because your surgeon tried to make them as big as he could to please you so just give it some time to heal and massage would help.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Without posted photos can not advise in depth. Best to seek in person second opinions................

Breast implants

Hi you are still early in the recovery period and it may take several more months for your implants to settle.  Every PS has different thoughts on massaging the implants and you should ask him/her about it.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Implant settling

Hi, kaylees.  Thanks for your question.  You are still very early in your recovery process.  Implants can take up to 3-6 months to settle. Please be patient and follow up with your plastic surgeon closely.  Best regards.

Thank you for your question. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.
Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.
Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.