I'm 170 lbs and 5"0. Am I a candidate for a Liposuction?

I am really looking into a liposuction. I am 5"0 feet 170 lbs. I am a mother of 8 with 1 c section and my youngest being 6 months old. I have a 40 inch waist. I don't want a before kids results but I do want to get rid of the belly fat. I had a consultation and I was told that a tummy tuck would be a better option but I don't want a tuck being the down time is not something I can do

Appropriate Choice of Tummy Tuck or Liposuction

As you didn't include photos with your question, I can only offer my general perspective.  Liposuction is obviously less extensive surgery than a tummy tuck, but only removes excess fat from the subcutaneous space (the layer of fat between the skin and muscles).  Whereas a tummy tuck usually includes removal of and tightening of loose belly skin, tightening of stretched belly wall muscles, and liposuction to remove excess fat.  So which operation will give you the best result depends on your condition.  If your skin and muscles are fairly firm, the liposuction alone will decrease your fullness and trim you down.  But if your skin is stretchy and loose, especially if it is folded over like an apron, then liposuction alone will not be worthwhile and you will need a tummy tuck with liposuction to achieve a trimmer, smoother, and firmer abdomen.  You should consult with an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon and make sure you understand his/her analysis of your condition and explanation of the recommended procedure.

Hi. You didn't post photos but just based on your history height and weight a full tummy tuck with possible lipo is what is indicated. The down time is what it is. This is a huge decision in your life and if you can't find the time to dedicate to it, then perhaps you should think about it twice. Don't compromise by having a lesser than procedure just because it's less down time. Good luck.

Liposuction vs. abdominplasty-depends on expectations

Whereas an abdominoplasty will generally yield the flattest abdomen, many patients are please with the results of liposuction only.

Candidate for lipo

I guess it all depends on what your expectations are and what your physical con ition is.Realize after lipo you will have more loose skin than before and that may be something you can live with.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs abdominoplasty

The question is a good one, thank you. My patients are advised on an abdominoplasty or liposuction base don the amount of skin, if a scar exits from a c section and several other factors. Most patients who present with moderate to sever skin need an abdominoplasty. The recovery time is longer but well worth it. 

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Depends on the contours

It depends entirely on the location of the fat, the tightness of the skin and what areas you want treated.  A careful examination may reveal that you are a good candidate for lipo. If someone told you you need a tummy tuck, you probably have looseness of the skin that must be excised.

I'm 170 lbs and 5"0. Am I a candidate for a Liposuction

At 5 feet even and 170 you need 30 to 40 pounds weight loss before doing any surgery. especially if you are the mother of 8. Liposuction in office setting can remove ONLY 4 liters that equals 8 to 10 pounds. But the excess skin will still be there... Seek additional in person opinions... 

Well it is difficult to say by description alone--an in-person evaluation is necessary. That being said, based on the height/weight you provided, your BMI is 33.2.  I would suggest first making sure you maximize weight loss through diet/exercise to get yourself down to a BMI that is safer to have surgery--30 or under.  This lifestyle change will help you optimize your results no matter what you decide to do. For many women similar to what you describe a tummy tuck nor liposuction alone is adequate to have a great result.  I usually recommend both but you sound like you will most likely need to do liposuction for debulking first then TT as a secondary procedure to remove the extra skin leftover.  I find that doing a TT before losing the weight will often leave you with an odd appearance to the trunk where there is still excess fat but in the area where the TT was done there is a belt like appearance to the hip area.  For me, this looks odd and not very feminine.  In addition, if you lose any weight after the TT the skin will just become lax and sag and you will end up needing to have it redone. In contrast, liposuction alone is also not adequate because removing that amount of fat will leave you with loose, lax skin that will hang.  So you can either try to get down to a goal BMI/body weight through diet and exercise alone (ideal) then have your TT once you get rid of all the baby fat or get to a healthier BMI and do staged lipo then tummy tuck.  I do this frequently and you can see an example in my photos of a patient that had just that.

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for a Liposuction?

Without photos- it is difficult to comment accurately. However, based on your description-- it sounds like you might benefit from Tummy Tuck with lipo contouring. Liposuction only addresses excess fat-- not excess skin. 
Seek an experienced Board Certified PS for in person examination.

Tummy tuck vs Liposuction

After 8 children I suspect a TT would be the best choice.   Photos would help us.  Liposuction may help a bit when in clothes.   I fear the excess skin would not be ideal for you.   We need photos.  Thanks,  My Best,  Dr C