Lumpy hard area on chin after facelift, is this normal? (photo)

Had s facelift mid lower and neck on December 18 . Here is a before picture after and today December 30. What is bothering me is the under chin seems to become more swollen etc. it is still numb and lumpy where drains were but I notice this morning seems more swelling. Shouldn't this be subsiding not getting hard or am I just be to overactive. .

Lumps post face

Since you are only a week or so poost op you could apply heat and massage.This will go down given enough time.Sometimes we get anxious and want it now so be patient I am sure all will be well.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Under the Chin After Facelift Surgery

Your surgery was performed less than two weeks ago.  It is not unusual to have swelling at this time.  Your scar and neck may also feel thick, "woody", and lumpy.  All of this is part of the normal healing process and takes at least  three to six weeks to subside. Massage with a silicone type of scar gel may be helpful directly on the incision line, and a neck compression garment may also be beneficial. However, the "tincture of time" is the best therapy.  Post surgical changes and scars improve slowly over three months to one year. You must just be patient. 

Happy New Year! And good luck.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks after facelift

Lumps and firm areas are to be expected after facelift, and I tell my patients that they can take months to resolve, although you should see noticeable improvements over the next few weeks.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after facelift

It is reasonable to have lumps and irregular areas after your facelift: swelling can last for a few weeks and scars can remain irregular for up to 6 months.  Talk to your surgeon about moisturizers, scar creams, and scar massage.  You should be fine with a little more time....

Lump after facelift

You probably have a fluid or blood collection under the flap in the area of concern. If it is a small amount it should resorb over time. Larger collections need to be drained. See your surgeon for an evaluation. Good luck. Donald R. Nunn MD Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Swollen Area Under Chin

You are in the early stage of recovery.  It is normal to have swelling in the neck/ chin area.  Water runs downhill, so this is to be expected.  Your surgeon may want to put you in a neck compression garment to help expedite your healing.  Also, in the next few weeks, he may want you to have facial massages.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Swelling after facelift

You're still early in your recovery. Swelling is very common and it will subside in the weeks and months ahead. Keep your head elevated while sleeping and follow your surgeon's post-op instructions to facilitate your recovery.

Lumps after facelift

It is not at all unusual to gave firm, lumpy areas under the chin at this point in your recovery.  Some surgeons recommend massaging the lumps to help soften them up.  They will improve on their own with time and eventually all the lumps should resolve.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Healing After a Facelift

Thank you for your pictures.  You are 12 days out from your surgery.  Everything that you have described is normal for this time frame.  The lump most likely represents swelling and some scar formation.  This will smooth out and soften over time.  Continue to follow your PS's recovery instructions.

Good Luck

Dr. ES

Lumpy hard area on chin after facelift, is this normal?

Appears you had a very very conservative or short cut FL/NL! In my opinion you would have been better served having a full FL/NL with temple lift and upper eyelids + PRP/fat grafting... Was your surgeon a boarded PS? Or did you have a type of mini lifting?