Male, 27, Full TT, no contour, dogears, loose back skin, unsure if I just need to work out, go circum, or lipo (photos)

Hello all, I'm a 27 year old male who lost over 100lbs from limiting carbs. Several months ago ( five to be exact) I underwent a full tummy tuck with great results ( flattening, that is) especially when viewed from the side. However, I still lack any contouring, and from the front view it looks--well, no toned at all. No "V" due to skin around flanks. I have also noticed what looks to be dogears, as well as loose back skin, am wondering if my results could be improved upon with circum/lipo?

To see previous question, please click here.

Male, 27, Full TT, no contour, dogears, loose back skin, unsure if I just need to work out, go circum, or lipo

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided informaion and pictures as well. Based on your pictures your results looks really good even tho you are still swollen. I can notice that you have a little bit os saggy skin in your flanks that liposuction can not achieve. I recommend to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to talk about your goals. Good luck :)

Tummy Tuck Healing

There is always a chance that you are still in the healing process. Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

Additional procedures that may enhance the result are Liposuction, Gynecomastia (male breast reduction), or Thigh Lift. Arm reduction or brachiaplasty is also common. If you find that your side abdominal flanks are loose or swollen, you should be able to wait a little while longer. Liposuction and tightening of the flanks is always an additional procedure that can help the overall results. The best thing would be to visit your surgeon to have the area evaluated to help determine whether an additional procedure would help tighten those side flanks.

First, I would say you have a very nice result after your surgery.   Stomach definition will likely come as you continue to work your abdominal muscles.  If you have loose skin on your flanks I would suggest you talk to your plastic surgeon about a body lift procedure which will help address this.  

What should I do after a tummy tuck?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and congratulations on your tummy tuck procedure.  Depending on your skin quality during an in-person examination, as well as a thorough discussion as to your goal results, the best treatment option can be recommended. Though you appear to have residual skin excess along your flanks liposuction alone may be able to give you additional contouring and skin retraction.  If however the skin is thin and there is sufficient excess, then an extended tummy tuck incision to remove this additional love handle tissue may be best.  Ultimately however, nothing replaces diet and exercise in order to obtain a more "toned" look.  No amount of surgery can reproduce those results. 

Muffin top after tummy tuck and massive weight loss

I believe this excess skin will need to be excised. I do what is called a hip tuck or and extended buttock lift that basically begins medial to the ends of the abdominoplasty scar and goes posteriorly to remove this extra skin and if there is fat there, sometimes liposuction is added to improve the contour too. I think either of these would help but I think you would be happier with the full buttock lift as there would be complete excision of all the redundant skin you have on the hips and the lower back that you really won't notice until after the hip region is corrected. I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon and see what options they believe would be best for you., Good luck and congratulations on the weight loss!

W. John Bull, MD