5 months post op Full TT--dogtags and lack of contour--should I seek lipo, or circum surgery? Thoughts? (photos)

Hello all, I'm a 27 year old male who lost over 100lbs from limiting carbs. Several months ago ( five to be exact) I underwent a full tummy tuck with great results ( flattening, that is) especially when viewed from the side. However, I still lack any contouring, and the from the front view looks--well, a bit strange I feel. I have also noticed what looks to be dogtags, as well as loose back skin, am wondering if my results are lagging because I regretfully neglected having circum surgery.Thought?

Body lift

With a 100 lb weight loss, you probably would have benefited from a full body lift.  You would have to be seen in person to be properly evalauted.

Body lift

Hi, Thank you for your question. Congratulations on the weight loss! It is hard to tell if you need a full circumferential tuck or if you would just benefit from working out. I would recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. They will be able to discuss all of the best options for you.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Vs Lower Body Lift!

Congrats on the weight loss!    Your Tummy Tuck results look great!   But, since we can't see your back in the pics, I can't tell if you need a Circumferential Tuck or not.   By Dog Tags, I assume you mean DogEars!   Dog ears are areas where the skin at the end of the scar gets bunched up.  This is usually due to not extending the scar far enough to accommodate the amount of skin removed.  This is easily fixed by extending the scar further, removing this excess skin!   Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an In-Person consultation to determine what is best for you.   Again, Congrats on your hard work on the weight loss!  

Work out

Looks like an excellent outcome.  I would work out and watch your diet.  I don't think either circumferential surgery or liposuction is going to give you the outcome you are looking for.

Post-Op Healing From Tummy Tuck

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.
It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.
These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Liposuction might help your sides/flanks.  It will depend on how well your skin retracts.  Sometimes, people who have lost a lot of weight have skin that is stretched, and does not rebound well.  In that case, you would need excision of the skin extending onto the back.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon