Am I ready to get implants put back in?

It's been 6 months since I got implants removed from staph infection. I was told it wasn't my fault or the doctors fault in Mexico that this happened to me so I am think of going back to the same doctor as he said he will put them back in for free because of what happened to me. Should I?

Yes, but ....

Six months is enough time for as long as you are no longer having any infection-related problems.

I would caution against going back to the same doctor. Plastic Surgery is really not what you want to have done abroad especially as you already had a negative outcome. You would be much safer having it done here in the US by a board-certified PS.

Putting implants back

Six months is an adequate period of time to have your implants back in. Going to the old doctor or not is a delicate decision, but of course the free replacement is a tempting offer. At the same time, I am not sure but if your implants were removed because they were both infected, then you may want to stay in the USA. A bilateral infection of implants would strongly suggest issues with the sterility of the procedure.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Implants after infection

Once the infection has cleared, it's best to wait at least 3 months before getting new implants.  Since you've already waited longer than that, I think it is fine if you explore getting new implants.  I would caution you about having them placed by a physician out of the country.  If there are further issues, or complications  it can be difficult for you to find a plastic surgeon in the United States to help you.  I recommend meeting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area for an evaluation.  You are in a higher risk category because you've had a prior infection and extra precautions may be necessary in your case.

Camille Cash, MD

Breast Implant Infection

Thanks for your question.  Six months is what is recommended for having a secondary breast augmentation.  However, it is best to be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon who can actually examine your tissue and consider possible causes.  Breast implant infection is very rare in this country.  I would caution you about having plastic surgery abroad since they do not have the same standards.  Best of luck

Breast implant removal

Six Months is enough time for the infection to resolve. You want to be sure that you are not a carrier of MRSA. I would suggest that you talk to your primary care physician and have a nasal swab done to be sure this doesn't happen again. Also, I would think it would be safer to stay in the United States and have a board-certified plastic surgeon do this. I would take hate to see this happen to you again.Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - Am I ready to get implants put back in?

I'm very sorry for the problems you've had.

In general, 6 months should be [about] enough to consider a re-augmentation.  That decision, however, should be made by the implanting surgeon, and based on being able to examine you in person.  Waiting another 6 months (ie, a year since the implant was removed) is even more cautious and may have the advantage of allowing your tissues to soften further (which is not something that can be assessed via this forum).

If you are otherwise confident in and comfortable with your surgeon is it reasonable to go back to him or her...but where are you located?  I would advise using a surgeon who is near you, in view of what happened last time.  There are no absolutes, and certainly not with this, but it is at the very least something to consider.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Am I ready to get implants put back in?

Usually the recommended time to allow before putting implants back in after an infection is anywhere from 3-6 months. But it is really up to the doctors discretion, and it is best to contact your PS.

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD