Will PRP treatment help my thinning hair?

My hair started thinning about 1 year ago. I am a 54 yr old woman. I have had blood work which showed nothing not even low hormones. It is so thin now that I can see my scalp. Will PRP treatment help this?

Hair loss@ 54; ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS NJ

In my opinion, PRP works well for post menopausal PATTERN hair loss. You should be evaluated by a hair loss expert. They will do a good history, examination, Review your blood work and possibly a biopsy to determine if you are a candidate. Good luck. 

Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

PRP for Hair Loss

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your hair thinning concerns. PRP can be an excellent treatment for woman and even men who are experiencing thinning hair. The growth factors in the platelets stimulate the follicles to grow hair. It can be combined with other hair loss treatments for extra benefit depending on individual need. I would recommend an in person exam to help determine the cause of thinning hair which is most important as well as candidacy.  Best wishes. 

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

PRP as an option for hairloss in women

PRP is an excellent option for  women who are starting to lose hair. You need to consult with your hair loss specialist to first find the cause for your hair loss and see if you are a good candidate. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP for thinning hair

PRP and PRP with cell additive mixtures are effective treatments to grow more hair. My patients usually see fuller hair in 6 months. It is normal to see more shedding early after the treatment. I find most women need a series of 3 PRP treatments for maximal results. Taking medical grade hair vitamins during the treatment also boosts your final result.

Arash Moradzadeh, MD

PRP for Thinning Hair

Thanks for your question!  PRP is an excellent treatment option for hair thinning when performed properly.  I would suggest PRP injections in a series of 3, spaced one month apart to begin with - after all other medical conditions have been ruled out for the cause of hair loss.  Best of luck!

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride, Spironolactone, follicular unit (FUE) hair transplantation/ARTAS

I find that prp with progesterone and oral spironolactone do the best for postmenopausal women.  Best, Dr. Emer.

PRP Effectiveness For Hair Loss

I agree with Jeff Donovan,cause of hair loss should be properly ruled out. in addition, there is no harm in doing PRP and micro needling as i have seen excellent results in hair loss specially after 40,s

Muhammad Jawad, MBBS
Pakistan Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP at 54

PRP might help but it's probably not the first thing on the list. First and foremost you need a diagnosis, because the proper treatments are different depending on the diagnosis.

See your dermatologist please. I use PRP in my practice but I can say emphatically that there is no hair loss condition for which PRP is the first step  in the overall treatment algorithm.