How common is to get a tummy tuck and breast augmentation with lift at two different times?

My surgeon suggested I get a full tummy tuck and lipo first. I'm 120 pounds and 5 '2' ' which doesn't seem like an extreme amount of lipo. Then 6 months later it should be followed with breast augmentation and lift. What is the purpose of doing it 6 months apart rather than at one time?

Staged Procedure

Thank you for your question.   We routinely perform TT with Lipo and Breast Augmentation/Lifts as one procedure.   I wonder if there is something in your medical history than concerns your plastic surgeon?  Also ask them the facility and type of anesthesia they use for their surgery, as this may influence their decision.   I would obtain more info from your surgeon and if it does not make sense, seek a 2nd or even 3rd opinion.   All the best.

Common or Uncommon to combine 2 operations

Great question. Only problem there is NOT A CORRECT ANSWER.Only the surgeon who you are seeing can make that call. At your height and weight ,I feel your Abdominoplasty should be an hour or max one and a half hours. That leaves plenty of time for the breast surgery.  Without question ,the hardest operation we do is the Breast lift and augment. Your surgeon may want to break the 2 opeations up, but you will save money by combining them. If ever in doubt get a second or third opinion.  

Neumon T. Goshorn, MD

Combined breast and abdominal surgery

Thank you for your question.  If you are uncomfotable with your surgeon's suggestion, best to get another opinion.  In most cases, it is safe to combine a breat lift/augmentation with liposuction and a tummy tuck.  The primary concern is patient safety, but in a healthy patient, it is reasonable to combine surgeries.  The main concern will be the length of surgery.  I generally will require patients to spend the night for observation when the surgery is expeted to last longer than 5-6 hours, or if there is extensvie liposuction and skin removal.  Perhaps your surgeon does not have a facility for an overnight admission.  Best to discuss again and see if you can combine if that is your wish. Good luck. 

Tummy tuck and Breast Augmentation

You should ask your surgeon why he/she feels the surgery needs to be done separately. Those procedures are done frequently together and is known as a "mommy makeover." Perhaps you have health issues or something else your surgeon is concerned about? Maybe you should get a second opinion, be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Tummy tuck and Augmentation at the same time.

It varies from patient to patient. But with your height and weight I think these procedures could be easily performed in one setting. We like to limit surgery time to 5 hours.

M. Azhar Ali, MD, FACS
Bloomfield Hills Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck, breast augmentation and breast lift at one surgery

In a healthy patient, it may be possible to do all  these surgeries at one time. We try to limit surgical time to around five and a half hours because I think that long surgeries may add more risk to the process.  So in my practice, we have estimates for times of each surgical procedures and make conservative judgements to how much surgery we can safely do at one sitting.  But one should trust the judgement of the board certified plastic surgeon in which you have a good relationship.

My best to you.

Combining Surgeries

It is very common to combine all of these surgeries in one setting for a healthy patient. Every surgeon has his or her own protocol for how much surgery is safe to perform at one time.  I would certainly ask your surgeon why, in your case, it would be best to separate the surgeries in to two settings.  Certain medical history and medications can interfere with an aggressive treatment plan.  Best of luck!

Larry Pollack, MD

Can a Breast Augmentation be done at the same time as Tummy Tuck?

Many surgeons routinely perform Tummy Tucks with limited liposuction and breast augmentation with or without a lift, at the same time.  However, each additional procedure carries its own risk and the additive nature of these risks sometimes makes the total risk too high. This is especially true in patients with underlying problems such as diabetes, autoimmune diseases, sickle cell trait, and even smokers. A competent surgeon should be able to explain to you exactly why the surgeries would need to be separated. 

F. True Lansden, MD
Key West Plastic Surgeon

Staging procedures.

If your surgeon can do your procedures in a time efficient and safe fashion and the procedures don't conflict with each other or overly stress the health of the patient, then I prefer to combine them.  I don't know why you surgeon is suggesting the staging.  Ask him for his reasoning and if it doesn't sound reasonable to you, get another opinion.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

How Common is having a Tummy Tuck, Breast Augmentation and Breast Lift at different times?

It sounds like you are referring to a procedure commonly known as the "Mommy Makeover". In my experience 90% of my patients have opted to do all of the procedures at the same time.  In a relatively healthy patient I see no problem with the patient undergoing multiple procedures. However, each case is different and all risks and must be weighed by the surgeon.  The rationale for having them done in one setting are:
  • Less Expensive: the second and third procedures are usually discounted from their full fee.
  • One anesthetic
  • One recovery
  • One time off work
  • One episode of having a potential complication
Hope this has proved helpful.