Is This Normal for Almost 6 Weeks After Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I'm attaching before and after photos. I am tiny and was used to work out, so I'm assuming that my muscles are still tight...I'm massaging them everyday and wearing the band/strap for as many hours I can handle it, usually around 12-14 hrs per day. I feel they're still too high, they're softer, but I guess I will need more time to see them drop and feel them softer? I wante to see the lower pole rounder, will that eventually happen? Thanks for your help!

Breast implant settling

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos. It is definitely too early to tell whether this is the final resting place for your implants. With aggressive massage, you may find that the implants do continue to descend over the next several months. Keep a close follow-up with your surgeon.

High riding implants

It is common for implants to appear to be too full in the upper part of the breasts for the first few months, and this is more likely in smaller fit women. Although these probably looked fine during surgery, when you recovered from the anesthetic, the muscle relaxation was gone,and the implants were compressed by the  muscles. The implants don't actually move, but the contents (gel or saline) are compressed and bulge out the top. The bottom of the implant is at the breast fold. The upper part is an empty space under the muscle. It is as if the implant is sitting at the bottom of a long envelope--it can't go lower, but can to higher. 
Continue with massage, be patient. Thanks for your question and for the photos.Best wishes.

Concerns About Breast Implants' Position after Breast Surgery?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

What you are experiencing is quite commonly encountered after breast augmentation surgery.  Breast implants can “ride high” for several months after breast augmentation surgery. This is especially true for  patients who start out “tiny” and with  strong pectoralis major muscles. Breast augmentation with relatively large breast implants may increase the time necessary for the breast implants to settle ( “drop and fluff”).

The use of massage and avoidance of activity that will engage your pectoralis major muscles ( push-ups, bench press, dancing on a pole…) will help.

You may find the attached link helpful as well.

Breast augmentation 6 weeks post op.

Please remember it is very early and your implants are a little high still.  Avoid push up type bras and wear the band.  It is best to continue and stay on top of all of the breast excercises as directed by your surgeon. 

Breast augmentation

At six weeks after breast augmentation it is not uncommon for the implants to still be a bit high.  Give it more time to settle down.

6 weeks post breast augmentation

First, thanks for the photos which always help for the discussion. It's still early in the process of breast augmentation healing. The upper pole fullness may be a combination of residual muscle swelling and perhaps your implant is sitting a bit high. It will take quite long time for the lower pole breast skin to stretch out but if your implant is too big for your chest or if the implant is placed high then you will keep having the prominent upper pole fullness. Keep massaging and wait at least 3 months before making judgement. Even if you need revision, wait at least 6 months. Let time and gravity work for you. 

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

6 weeks out?

Thanks for your post and photos. In comparing the before and after surgery photos, I see that your right breast was higher on your chest and the crease was also a bit higher. Both breast implants are still high, but that's not unusual at this time. The right is also higher in the after photos. Massage and breast band is the way to go. Talk to your plastic surgeon as to whether massaging the right breast more would help. It's going take more time for you to fully heal, specially knowing that you're more muscular. Best whishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Massage, Gravity and Time are your Friend in Maturation of Breast Augmentation.

Hello and thank you for your pictures and question.

You are still quite early in the healing process.  How far you breast implants drop depend on the type of implant (smooth vs. textured) implant pocket, and post-operative massage, care.  It usually takes about 3-4 months to mature, but sometimes longer.  I agree with the band at the top of the breasts and I assume you are going bra-less as well.  Gravity and pressure help a lot.  Massage techniques are commonly executed incorrectly by the patient, so make sure you understand fully what your surgeon's massage technique is.  I have my patients demonstrate to me the massage technique to make sure they are doing it properly.  In  the end, you should have lower implant with time.  If it does not lower all the way, a simple surgery can aid in further lowering of the implants.

Best Wishes!

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Post Operative Expectations

Thank you for the pictures and your question. You are still early on in the healing process. Initially you will go through a period of inflammation and tightness, which is usually in the first 3 months after your surgery and can sometimes take as long as 6 months. As your body continues to heal the swelling will slowly subside and the soft tissues will accommodate (stretch out) allowing the implants to drop into their desired position. This is when you will see the fuller, softer breasts with a more round lower pole.

Be patient, continue to massage as instructed and follow up with your plastic surgeon. I hope this helps.

Good luck. 

Is This Normal for Almost 6 Weeks After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for submitting your question and photo. Your very early in your recovery from breast surgery. Your breasts will change over the next several months.   Final results take 6-9 months.    Discuss your concerns with your surgeon . Best wishes.