Do I have tuberous breast? if yes, is it bad? (Photos)

Ever since I was in 4th grade, I've been waiting for my breasts to grow. I thought the size of my areola was normal, also the puffiness. I am now 19 years old, still with the same problem. I've had a child already, no change in my breasts. I've always longed for the roundness normal shape. In need of answers, thank you!

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, based on your photographs, the best shape and contour could be achieved with an implant and a wise pattern breast lift. Your breasts do show some elements of tuberous breasts with lower pole constriction and enlarged areolas.    A wise pattern lift with an implant can result in a very nice shape if good technique is used.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Tuberous Breasts

Yes, it does appear that you have Tuberous Breasts. However you appear to have a reasonable amount of breast tissue. Adding volume by means of an implant, reducing and elevating the areolae, and attempting to release the tight inframammary fold would go a long way to improving your appearance. A consultation with an experienced breast surgeon will help to confirm the diagnosis and also set expectations concerning results. You should be able to get a very nice correction. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Tuberous Breast deformity and it's correction

Thank you for the photos. You do have a tuberous breast deformity. This is characterized by the herniation of breast tissue into the nipple areolar complex and the elevated breast fold (inframammary crease). This is a congenital deformity and does not improve with time. Correction typically involves a combination of implants and lifting with release of the constricting bands within the breast and lowering of the breast fold. Tuberous breast correction is much more complicated than a "breast augmentation" and I would recommend that you see Plastic Surgeons with significant breast reconstruction experience.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts

Thank you for your question and photos. Yes, you do show the herniated areolas and breast constriction characteristic of Tuberous breasts. If you'd like to change the appearance of your breasts I recommend that you seek a board certified Plastic Surgeon in your area who specializes in this type of correction.

All the best

Tuberous breasts

Yes, tuberous breasts make for a difficult breast augmentation but it is very possible and a very satisfying operation for surgeon and patient alike!  Find a surgeon well versed in the dual plane augmentation and with tuberous breasts.  

Jay Calvert, MD, FACS

Tuberous Breast Deformity

It appears that you have a moderate tuberous breast deformity. This can certainly be made better. The procedure would include an areolar reduction and a breast implant. Make sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon experienced with tuberous breast surgery. 

Do I have tuberous breast shapes to the breasts

Thanks for the question.  You do have tuberous breast shapes to each breast, and the right breast is a little more narrowed at the base of the breast than the left side.  The good news is that many patients have this breast shape, so please understand that this is normal and can be improved and better balance.  I would do a donut mastopexy and would possibly use a teardrop shaped implant , but as always the best advice that you could get from an online Plastic Surgeon would be to have an evaluation by a Plastic Surgeon in your area.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Do I have tuberous breast?

Judging by the photos - yes you do have a tuberous breast.  Ideally this is addressed with a conservative sized implant, the anatomical silicone implants work well in this situation and well as a mastopexy to address the wide areolar diameter.  I recommend consulting with several plastic surgeons in your area, look at before and after photos and make sure each is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Do I have tuberous breast? if yes, is it bad?

Yes - you have ptosis and tuberosity. The ideal way to achieve your best looking breasts- is to have a breast lift with implants. This will include- a nipple repositioning, and an areola reduction. Make sure to seek an experienced Board Certified PS with at least 10 years + experience

Yes your dx is tuberous breasts, with inferior pole constriction bands, pseudo ptosis and herniated nipple/areolae. Best to seek many in person opinions. My recommendation is at least 2 to 3 separate operations...